Global Mapper v25.0

Change the Elevation units without re projecting

jcompito
jcompito Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2014 in Elevation Data
I have received some elevation data. I suspect that the elevation units have were either incorrectly projected or exported and I have data that seems to have the correct elevation in feet, but the units are listed as meters.

Is there a method of changing the units without re-projecting the data? I am changing a GeoTiff Raster file.

Thank you,

Justin

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2014
    Justin,

Yes, just go to the Alter Elevations tab of the Options dialog for the layer and correct the elevation units interpretation to whatever it actually is.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • jcompito
    jcompito Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    Hi,

Thank you for your response. That appears as though it will just change the units being displayed for that layer within Gloabl Mapper. I actually meant to change the units associated with the elevation data at each point. For example, I view the terrain height at one point. It shows as 127 meters. I believe it should be 127 feet. I would like to perform a change across that entire layer to change the units from meters to feet. Not converting the units such that, that point would be 127 meters and then display as 416 feet.

Thanks,

Justin
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2014
    Justin,

The Alter Elevation Values unit setting is what control what the values from the layer are interpreted as. So if that is feet, a raw value of 127 from the layer is 127 ft. Then the Elevation Export/Display Units setting on the Vertical Options tab of the Configuration dialog controls how the elevation values are displayed. For example, if that was set to metric, the 127 ft value would be displayed in the status bar as 38.7 meters.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • jcompito
    jcompito Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2014
    Hi Mike,

Great! I understand the difference between the two options now. I'm sorry I didn't understand at first. I was able to change the units intpretation successfully.

Thanks,

Justin