Global Mapper v25.0

DWG file import - use PRJ file?

Louis
Louis Global Mapper User
edited June 2014 in Vector Data
Hi,

I have DWG files in UTM.

When I load them in Global Mapper I get a dialog box to set the UTM zone and units.

Is there any way to have a companion file - like a PRJ file for GM to get this info from?

I am using version 15.

Thanks,

Louis

Comments

• Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited June 2014
    Hello Louis,

This depends on the application that you are exporting the DWG file from, there may be an option to create a file or a prj from the coordinate system used in the application you are exporting the DWG from, or it may be an export option. Where and if a 'create prj' option is available depends on the application.

In Global Mapper you may create one for the selected system by going to Tools > Configure and the Projection tab. Here you have the option to 'Save to File...'. This will generate a prj for you from the Global Mapper coordinate system information.

Regards,

Jasmine
  • Louis
    Louis Global Mapper User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I created a PRJ using your instructions giving it the same name as the DWG file. I then quit GM and restarted loading the DWG and it still puts up the projection dialog box.

I need to remove the need for the projection dialog box as I have a bunch of DWG files that I would like to have corresponding PRJ-type files so that the DWG file displays immediately without the dialog box.

Louis
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2014
    Louis,

Having the PRJ with the same name as the DWG should have done it, does the PRJ file load if you use 'Load from File' on the PROjection dialog? You can also save a default.prj file in the folder with the DWGs and that should be used automatically if no file-specific PRJ file is found.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Louis
    Louis Global Mapper User
    edited June 2014
    The PRJ does load using the 'Load from file'.

I tried the default.prj file and it still says "DWG files do not include projection information..."

At least GM should do it - the feature that I need should be there but perhaps not working quite right yet.

Louis
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2014
    Louis,

I took a look and discovered that the DWG load wasn't looking the right place for .prj files, so they weren't being found. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Louis
    Louis Global Mapper User
    edited June 2014
    Yes it works now.

Thanks so much for the quick work!

Louis