Global Mapper Pro

Path Profile

946 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2014 in Technical Support
Hi Mike,
When path profile is intersecting 3d lines we could see now the location of the lines inside profile window(quite nice), but the Z is sampled strange.(dont know if this is intended). Ill attach a print for you to understand better.
PathProfile.jpg
It will be really nice if the tool could interpolate between the vertices or at least get the elevation from the nearest one.

Thanks for the great support!!
Remi

Comments

• Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited May 2014
    Hi Remi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have logged an enhancement request to add support to the Path/Profile tools for interpolating elevation values between vertices - or to get the elevation value from the nearest one.

The enhancement request number is 13706.

Regards,

Jasmine
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2014
    Remi,

The 3D lines that the path cross should show on the path profile where the 3D lines are in space at the intersecting location. If the intersecting line does not have its own elevations then it should show at the surface.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    946 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    Hi Mike,
    This 2 lines in the print screen are 3D lines, but I noticed that the intersecting point with the path profile is keeping the elevation of the left vertex even if the intersection is near the right vertex. If I create a point in the profile window in the place that the intersection is marked, it will be correct on the xy but 30cm above the line(in my example). The intersection in the right, that is more near the left vertex of the line is closer to the terrain so closer to the reality in my file.

Thanks,
    Remi
    edited May 2014
    Mike,

I did another example for you inthis way:
    I created a line and added elevation to it from terrain.I created points from the line and set ELEVATION as label.
    I did a profile intersecting the line near vertex " 339.448 ". In the path profile window the intersection is at 341.855m that is the elevation of the first vertex of this line.If I select the line and reverse order of vertices, the intersection of this point will be ok, but if I make a profile near point 341.855 it will show in profile window the elevtion 339.448m. So is not about left/right but first or last vertex created in the line(I guess).
    PathProfile2.jpg
    Thanks!!
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2014
    Ah I see what is happening and it's not what was intended! I've fixed this now so the elevations will be interpolated to where the 3D line crosses the path.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Mike!!