Global Mapper Pro

How to set a default projection?

gisnoob
gisnoob Global Mapper User
edited June 2015 in Technical Support
Hi friends,

I am using GlobalMapper 11 (64 Bit) and would ideally like to set a default projection (including zone, datum, and units) so that I do not need to access the Configuration dialogue everytime I open GlobalMapper or open a new file.

Every time I select the projection settings I would like, then open whatever file I need to work on, then unload it, I am forced to re-select the projection settings all over again. I would like the settings to remain in perpetuity, at least until I change them to something else. I know it's simple to just go in and change them every time, but when we plow through hundreds of files every day the time savings would add up.

I have attempted the following suggestions:

http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/technical-support/4494-set-default-coordinate-system.html
However when I open GlobalMapper again, it simply reverts to first default projection/datum of Geographic/WGS84 even though I have the default.prj file in the install folder set to MGA/GDA94.

http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/projection-questions/344-default-projection-system.html
This is a bit more of a mystery to me as the "Save Workspace" commands are always greyed out. Even if I could save my workspace I am not sure how to pass it as a parameter in the GlobalMapper shortcut.

I should note that in the Configuration menu, if I try to save the projection to a file, it does generate a .prj file just fine, only that file does not contain the same settings that I have it set to on screen at the time of saving (don't worry, after changing the settings I always click Apply so it should go through). For instance if I set it to MGA and hit Apply, then Save to File, the .prj file still comes out with a projection of Geographic GCS...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks friends!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2014
    Creating a script file with a LOAD_PROJECTION call that specifies the desired projection is what I would suggest. Name the script with a .gmw extension, then update the shortcut to Global Mapper to include a parameter that points directly to the .gmw file. Then the projection should be set automatically on start-up.

In v15 there is also an option to add something to the Favorites to run the last script. With that you could associate a script with a keyboard shortcut to quickly run the script that sets the projection. That is not available in v11 though, so you would have to manually load the script.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • rotoview
    rotoview Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2015
    How should a script like that look like?
    I have the same issue.

Regards

Johan