Export elevation data as a heightmap that can be edited in Photoshop

efoosefoos Global Mapper UserPosts: 7
edited May 2014 in Elevation Data
I want to export a raster image file that represents elevation data in a grey scale format. Using the gradient shader creates a grey scale image, but it only represents elevation change if I enable hill shading. This is not correct.

I need values from black to white to represent elevation. (Lowest = black, highest = white). Any suggestions on how properly export a heightmap from GM that I can open in Photoshop? This map would then be used as a displacement map in programs like Unity, Maya or Zbrush.

I've seen a few long threads on this subject in this forum. But no clear answer. Most involve lots of math, I expected GM to be able to automate this type of conversion / export.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    The gradient shader should work with or without hill shading enabled. It is the daylight shader that is a single color if hill shading is disabled. So if you just want an 8-bit grayscale image of the terrain from black (minimum) to white (maximum), just select the Gradient Shader, disable hill shading, and export to a grayscale raster image format.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • efoosefoos Global Mapper User Posts: 7
    edited April 2014
    Hi Mike,

I've tried this. But the resulting image is essentially solid gray, even though there is significant variation in the terrain (93.1m - 199.6m). Even the display in GM of the terrain is solid grey using the gradient shader.

Thanks
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    What version of Global Mapper are you using? If you go to the Shader Options tab of the Configuration dialog is the minimum elevation color for the Gradient Shader set to black and the maximum elevation color set to white? The shader will go over the full range of all loaded data by default (there is an option on the Vertical Options tab of the Configuraion dialog) to make the display just based on the displayed range. Do you maybe have some other data loaded that is making the total range larger?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • efoosefoos Global Mapper User Posts: 7
    edited May 2014
    I'm using 15.1

Setting the option to display based on display range works.

I also tried exporting the specific area of terrain data I need, then re-imported just this segment. Also works.

Thanks!