Capture screen contents to image - command

AquasoliAquasoli Global Mapper UserPosts: 11
edited April 2014 in Technical Support
Hi everybody,

I am new to GM as well as this forum but I hope you can quickly help me with a minor issue I have.

For a report I am creating I have to somehow get the different views that I am creating in GM out to post them into a (printed) report. So far I used the capture screen contents-commands for that, because the resolution seemed sufficient and the export functions are usually too slow because of the uploaded world imagery.

When I did that at first, the program automatically cropped the images to the rectangular section of the map I was looking at (attached sample 1). However, somehow now it also includes the surrounding, empty screen area (Sample 2).

I have already tried different options:
- Crop to loaded map data on/off
- Draw box around the area with digitizer

Can somebody help with this?

Thanks a lot,
Jakob

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    Jakob,

The 'Crop to Loaded Map Data' option should give you a screen capture that doesn't have the extra data on the edge, assuming there isn't some data layer that goes out that far that you just can't see. Is it possible there is some layer that has data outside the edges you are seeing so the bounds go that far?

To handle that you could also just set your screen size such that the data you want exactly fills the screen. Either that or use an export and make sure to set the sample spacing so that you aren't pulling the world imagery at full resolution but instead something similar to the screen resolution.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • AquasoliAquasoli Global Mapper User Posts: 11
    edited April 2014
    Hi Mike,

thanks for the quick answer.

Yes, you seem to be right, that he somehow has some invisible data in there. When I press "home", he zooms out quite a bit, probably until he reaches the extend of a 2nd site that I am working on. I thought that I unloaded all the data, before starting to work on the second site. Is there a way to visualize all the data, so that I can then get rid of it?

As for the export, using the export functions is still too slow but making the screen bounds exactly the area is a slightly arkward approach because it is not very exact, but it works, so thanks for the tip. The "crop to extends" function does not seem to work, there is no difference between having it switched on and off for me.

Thanks again,
    Jakob
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited April 2014
    Jakob,

If you go to the Help->Module/Extension License Manager and enable the Overview extension you will get a toolbar button to display an overview window showing everything that is loaded and also the bounds of your current view so you can see what you have available.

Note that you can uncheck layers in the Control Center if you just want to disable them but not unload them.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation