Global Mapper Pro

Determining Canadian Population (Census) Data

acgardiner
acgardiner Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2014 in Technical Support
Can someone pls advise me if, by drawing a polygon around a given area with Canadian topo maps loaded, it is possible to determine the population within the polygon? I have a piece of software called Geosuite 2011 (developed by Staats Canada) which will produce 2011 census information in Excel format but do not know how to interface this with GM.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2014
    Do you have some data, like point features, that have population figures also loaded? If so you could select all of those points within the area from right-click Advanced Feature Selection menu in Digitizer Tool, then use Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard and Ctrl+V to paste in a new instance of Global Mapper. Then use the Search button (binoculars on toolbar) to show table of all of those points. Right-click on a value in the Population column and choose the STATS option to get the sum of all values which should be the total population.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • acgardiner
    acgardiner Global Mapper User Trusted User

B ack at thiss one again Mike - several years later! Still no luck. First I import the overlays for all of Canada (gdb_000b11m_e.tab which is 520,708 bytes. Then I click on that in Tools>Control Centre. The I right click on that and go down to Join, selecting the Dissemination blocks for the Northwest Territories. Then import coverage curves for a site in question, but nowhere in the picture does DBPOP2016 appear!

Can you please assist?

Tony