Global Mapper v25.0

Remembering Classifications to Import

kbellis
kbellis Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2014 in Technical Support
Having just installed the LiDAR + GEM modules, I've noticed a difference in behavior; specifically, previous LiDAR Load Options that had been chosen in the same or differing workspaces are no longer being remembered. Each time LiDAR is loaded into a existing or new project, the Select LiDAR Point Classifications to Import revert back to the default of all classifications being selected. Typically, I'm only after the ground returns [02].

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2014
    The Lidar class filter for load is currently only remembered for the point clouds in a single load, then it goes back to the default of all selected to prevent common problems with people not noticing and only loading part of their data. The main Lidar class filter that you get to from the Lidar tab of the Config dialog (or quick button on Lidar module toolbar) is what I would suggest using and just turning off all but ground points. Then the other stuff is there if you want it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited February 2014
    This is due to the addition of the button on the toolbar that allows you to filter the display of points by classification in the LiDAR Module. The second button from the right-hand end of the LiDAR toolbar is "Filter LiDAR Data" that will take over and remember your display settings for loaded classes, so now you load the whole cloud and toggle the display rather than the more restrictive mode of only partially loading the cloud and being stuck with that choice unless you reload.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks guys for the replies!

@ Sam - In the FWIW column, I have in the past for experimental purposes with classifications, overtly loaded only, say for example [01] unclassified, so as to have isolated the classes by layer which then help to keep tract of changes through the reclassification method / algorithm multiscale curvature classification. The quick filter is handy and I should learn to use it more often, but the numbers that are contained between the parenthesis for each layer (xxx,xxx Features) still show the total of all points. When studying the impacts of varying threshold and scale values (user definables for the MCC reclassification process) these changing totals give the user a little feedback. Of course I can still do that, but just wanted to explain a little from where the habit had arisen. This procedure was how I found the bug in MCC-LIDAR (not in Mike's application) and an even greater appreciation for Mike's exceptional talents.

MCC effects 02.PNG
    A little more on this idea is explored in:

Part Three - That's Classified of True LiDAR Stories
    Index of /SET/True LiDAR Stories

MCC effects.PNG