Global Mapper Pro

Option for relative file references

DanHG
DanHG Global Mapper User
edited March 2014 in Suggestion Box
We use global mapper in a number of our offices and have our data on multiple servers. Ideally we want to work be able to synchronize files between servers, but this is creating issues with catalog and workspace files because the directory tree roots on each server are not the same.

It would be good to be able to specify relative file addresses in the gmc and gmw files. A workaround I've found is to go into the file and edit the references to use the old DOS style .\ notation for current directory and ..\ notation to move back towards the root. It works OK for stuff that doesn't change (albeit a bit time consuming to set up), but unfortunately for workspace files, everything is overwritten with full paths every time you save.

I'm posting this as a suggestion because google and I were unable to find it in the help or on the net. If it exists already please let me know!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2014
    Actually the workspaces and map catalogs should already support relative files. So while the map catalog (.gmc) will store the full path and filename, if that doesn't exist, it will look for the file in the same location relative to where the .gmc was saved or in the same folder as the .gmc file. The same applies for workspace files.

Is there something else you need it to do?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • DanHG
    DanHG Global Mapper User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for your reply! I haven't been finding that behavior works consistently - getting "files could not be loaded" errors until I go fix the references.

I'll get some specific information for you next time it comes up.
  • DanHG
    DanHG Global Mapper User
    edited March 2014
    This error has come up again for us. I don't think I'd been seeing it myself as the only two locations I'd been accessing were my own office server and my own local copy. Even though I was working off the server copy of the workspace, it was pulling files from my local copy. Now that a coworker in another office has come onto the project, the error has resurfaced - he can't see my local copy and so he's getting nothing but errors when loading.

The files are organized for loading into GM using a workspace file. Using a generic example (to protect client confidentiality), the project files are organized as follows:

\\root path\project folder
    external files\
    subdirectories\ (e.g. lidar, orthos, linework provided by others.)
    internal files\
    workspace.gmw
    subdirectories\ (e.g. mapping linework, analysis, products provided internally)

All copies of the data are 100% synchronized, that is, from the level of "project folder" on down, they are exact mirrors. The difficulty is that due to requirements of working out of the office and/or in different offices, the root path is different when in different locations. The behavior that is occurring is that the workspace file is not consistently finding items at their relative locations as implied.

One workaround that I'd found was to go into the workspace in a text editor and change the file references to replace the full path with DOS style relative paths (in the above example replace "\\root path\project folder\" with ".\..\"). This works fine as long as nobody overwrites the workspace.

Another workaround might be to stick the workspace file at the project folder level, but this flies in the face of our filing standards and would only be a last-resort.

I can provide even more specific examples or files if needed.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2014
    I've got great news! I did some tests with workspaces using UNC (network) paths and found that the relative file finding logic had a bug when dealing with UNC paths so it couldn't find the files if you moved them to a different UNC path (the logic was fine for local files or files on mapped drives). I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation