Global Mapper Pro

Exporting Gridded VRML Heightmap data

sun
sun Global Mapper User
edited March 2009 in Technical Support
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I am trying to export an area of heightmap data into VRML. I would like to export heightmap data as a 4x4 grid which is a export option but the problem is that the grid is exported as 16 files rather than one file describing the 4x4 grid. Am I missing something in the export options to write the export into one file?

many thanks for any help

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2008
    Are you trying to get a VRML file with just 16 elevation values in it (i.e. a 4x4 grid of cells)? If so, you just need to set up your sample spacing when you do the VRML export so that the result is only a grid of 4x4 cells. The Gridding tab options are for breaking your export up into smaller individual files, as you have found out.

To get the export of just 16 elevation samples, if for example your export bounds were a 1000 x 1000 meter grid, you would use a sample spacing of 250 meters.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • sun
    sun Global Mapper User
    edited March 2008
    My aim is to get an area of a 1000x1000 exported into one VRML file with the area described as a 4x4 grid, each field of the grid is 250x250. It seems that the sample spacing would do the trick but I cannot find it as a export option on the VRML export dialog. The only place I can find this option is on some of the other formats export dialogs. Space smapling doesn't seem to be an option for VRML, am I looking in the right place?
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2008
    On the VRML export tab the sample spacing is called "Resolution". It is the same setting.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hawg11
    Hawg11 Global Mapper User
    edited March 2009
    Hello,

I am using Global Mapper 10.2. Please help me locate the VRML export dialog. It doesn't seem to appear under the Export Raster or Vector format options.

Thanks,

Dave
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Dave,

It is now under the File->Export Web Formats menu.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hawg11
    edited March 2009
    Mike,

Thanks for the answer!

Here are a few shots of the terrain I am creating using this amazing program... It is a 3rd party terrain for the DCS: Warthog flight simulator series by Eagle Dynamics.

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m358/Hawg11/ScreenShot_1250.jpg?t=1234723588
    http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m358/Hawg11/ScreenShot_1251.jpg?t=1234723513

Now my question is how do I export vector data, i.e.lines for railroads, roads, power lines etc., as VRML?

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m358/Hawg11/Rails.jpg

The option remains grayed out when I try to export this data as VRML. It was originally imported from a .shp file. The reason I would like to export in VRML is that it can be read by 3DS Max. If we can't figure how to export as VRML, can you think of any other format that I could use?

Thanks!

Dave
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Dave,

Global Mapper doesn't currently support exporting just vector data to VRML. The VRML export is for gridded elevation exports, with any loaded raster data draped on top.

I'm not too familiar with what data formats that 3DS Max supports, but I would think it would support at least one of the other formats that Global Mapper can export to.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hawg11
    edited March 2009
    Mike ,

Global Mapper can export DEM data in many formats which can be imported into 3DS Max. Unfortunately, in my research, it doesn't appear this is the case for vector data.

Dave
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Dave,

Do you have a list of the vector formats that 3DS Max supports?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Hawg11
    edited March 2009
    Thanks again Mike!

My guys tell me that .DXF should work for this...

Dave