Building Heights and Lidar

jh93989jh93989 Global Mapper UserPosts: 41Trusted User
edited March 2014 in Elevation Data
We have classified Lidar and building Polygons, is it possible in Global mapper to locate the highest lidar point within each building polygon, or to create a new point feature at that location that can then be exported?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited February 2014
    If you have the Lidar module you can do this. First, create a grid from the Lidar point cloud using the binned gridding method of the maximum height and use a high resolution (maybe 0.5 point spacings so a grid cell center is always very close to actual point location). Now that you have the grid, select your building polygons with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and under Analyze/Measure select to calculate elevation statistics in the selected areas. You will then be prompted to create points at the min/max elevations within each area.

When the operation is done you will have point features created at the minimum and maximum elevations within each area. Since you don't create about the minimum points, just open the Search dialog and search for a Feature Description of 'Minimum Elevation Location' and delete all of the results, leaving just the maximum elevation locations.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • jh93989jh93989 Global Mapper User Posts: 41Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    That worked exactly as I had hoped. Helpful as always Mike, thanks!

-Jameson
  • GayleShierGayleShier Global Mapper User Posts: 12Trusted User
    edited February 2014
    got the point .. appreciate the suggestion
  • txrplstxrpls Global Mapper User Posts: 83Trusted User
    edited March 2014
    Would that work in reverse for ground points?
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited March 2014
    Yes, you would get minimum elevation location points along with the maximum and you could perhaps use that for some kind of ground indicator.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper