How to stake out points from a given point

883robert883robert Global Mapper UserPosts: 37Trusted User
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
Hi guys
I'm trying to combine data from different survey sources into one GM work file. Some data is from a stadia survey consisting of bearings and distances from a given mark, previously located by gps. Does GM offer a quick way of inputing a multitude of such points? I could input them into a traverse program and then output them in an ASCII file for reading by GM but that involves getting and learning another program. I'm using GM12 and the job projection is a grid.
All suggestions will be much appreciated as I'm by no means an experienced GM user. Thanks
Robert
Melbourne, Australia

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    Robert,

The distance/bearing/COGO line creation option in the Digitizer tool allows quickly entering a number of distance/bearing pairs to define a line. Just switch to the Digitizer Tool, then select the COGO option on the Digitizer Toolbar, then left-click to select start point, then enter distance/bearing pairs to define the line.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • 883robert883robert Global Mapper User Posts: 37Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply Mick. I tried the COGO line creation and end up with lots of lines. To get points I then have to go and make a new point at the end of the line by eye with the digitizer tool. It's necessary to do this one point at a time to avoid being confused about which point belongs to which line. Another difficulty is that the COGO facility works only in 2D. I can't add a height difference.
    A workaround is to enter the survey information to spreadsheet and use that to produce an ASCII file that GM can read but I thought it best to ask the experts before resorting to workarounds.
    If you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them.
    Thanks again
    Robert
    Robert,

The distance/bearing/COGO line creation option in the Digitizer tool allows quickly entering a number of distance/bearing pairs to define a line. Just switch to the Digitizer Tool, then select the COGO option on the Digitizer Toolbar, then left-click to select start point, then enter distance/bearing pairs to define the line.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    Robert,

That is correct that the COGO tool doesn't currently do any work with elevations. If you have an easy way to get the value in a text file (like a CSV from a spreadsheet) that can easily be loaded with File->Open Generic ASCII Text File menu command.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru