Offset direction of exported grid

omriomri Global Mapper UserPosts: 14Trusted User
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
Hey Guys

I'm trying to create an xyz grid file from my bathymetric layer.
But I want that the created grid will not be arranged in the left to right up down (S-N,W-E) directions, I want to be gridded in a diagonal (SE-NW, SW-NE) direction .
Is it possible in global mapper 14 ?

Thanks in advance

Omri

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    Omri,

While you can't directly do that as a grid is typically orthogonal to the current projection, you can set up a projection on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog that is rotated at some angle (45 degrees for example) so that an XYZ grid export actually follows a diagonal path in the original non-rotated projection. Many of the common projection systems, like Transverse Mercator and Orthographic, support a rotation angle parameter.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • omriomri Global Mapper User Posts: 14Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Hi Mike

Thanks for your replay,i'm using UTM projection in my project
    Is it possible to offset in UTM ? , and if yes how do i do so ?

Thanks

Omri Gadol
  • CassandraQCassandraQ Global Mapper User Posts: 34Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Yes, an offset can be performed through the Overlay Control Center. Right click on the layer in the Overlay Control Center and select the option SHIFT. You will then be given options to Shift Layer a Fixed Distance, Transform Coordinates Based on a File, or a Specific Coordinate Transformation. Enter your desired offsets and Click OK.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
    Cassandra
  • omriomri Global Mapper User Posts: 14Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Sorry Cassandra I think you misunderstand me or I misunderstand you.
    If i do what you have suggested my layer is being offseted to a different location.
    I want my layer to stay in its excact location (thats her true location globally), also i want to export an elevation grid format of that layer, but i want that in this export the points (x's,y's and z's) are not arranged top to buttem and left to right. alternatively i want them exported in a diagonally

Did i make my self more clear ?
    If not please let me know because its a very important task i need to preform

Thank you

Omri gadol
  • CassandraQCassandraQ Global Mapper User Posts: 34Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    OK, I think I understand. There are options in the export dialog box to set the values from Bottom to Top and Right to Left but not diagonally. Changing the projection and setting a rotation angle in the Configuration Dialog box, as Mike mentioned above, will most likely be the best solution. UTM does not support a rotation angle but Transverse Mercator and Orthographic does.