Difficulties In Saving Changes in GMW

RkoseiRkosei GM UserPosts: 21Trusted User
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
Dear Mike:

Please we are experiencing a small technical difficulties. In our workplace we have one Global Mapper Workspace in which two to three clients work on. We recently notice that when all are working on the GMW file and changes or edits are made, at the end of the day only one clients job reflects the changes after reopenning. Tipical example was last week. One of my work mate and I were using one GMW file. He created some new points and lines after which he saved his work. Later in the day I created some areas on the same GMW file and save it. The following day we open the map (GMW) and my area layers I created was no where to be found. I went to check the Render Deleted Items box but with no result. But the other persons changes reflected on the map successfully.

I hope my explanation is clear:). Please could you clarify this to us and if possible how to resolve this. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Hope to here form you soon and send my loving greetings to your team.

Thanks
Richard

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    Richard,

When you load a workspace into Global Mapper it won't know about any changes made to the .gmw file after you loaded it. So if you load it, then another user loads it, both will have the original contents loaded into memory. When either of you saves over the file with your changes the other user that already has it open won't know about those changes, so when they save it will overwrite your changes with their changes.

In general you won't want to have 2 people working on the same workspace if they will be editing it. There is a way to prevent this. If you go to the Advanced Section of the General tab of the Configuration dialog about halfway down the options list is one labeled 'Lock Active Workspace File to Prevent Sharing'. If you check that then the first user can open the workspace file and lock it, then future users won't be able to write to it until the first user releases it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • RkoseiRkosei GM User Posts: 21Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks very much for the quick response. Please we will try that and get back to you if we have any futher questions. Thanks for your help.:)

Thanks
    Richard
  • RkoseiRkosei GM User Posts: 21Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Hello Mike:

Thanks for the help you gave us. It seems that will work for us for. Although we wish that multiple users could use it at the same time.

Please may I use this opportunity to suggest that in future if Global Mapper could be enhanced to that effect. Whereby two or more clients or users can work on the same file without overwriting each other? This would be very helpful. Thanks for your hard work and sends my loving greeting to you all.:)

Thanks
    Richard