tile large amount of ECW tiles into Google map tiles - GM crashes

DanDanAusDanDanAus Global Mapper UserPosts: 13Trusted User
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
Dear support,

We have tried using GM v13 and now just trying v15 to tile large number of ECW tiles into Google Map Tiles. I have 3 deliveries of 500 ECWs each and 20 more to come. The data is multiple datasets that in the long run will all form a basemap for my web application.

At the moment I am trying to tile each set of 500 ECW as I get them.

When I tried to create a catalog, loaded the 500 ECWs in and tried to run Export to Google Map tiles when it got to zoom level 21 it died on the 21st zoom level and there were no descriptive error messages. GM just crashed.

Is there a recommendation on what is the best way to do this in GM? I was thinking I could tile each ECW ( 1sq km in size) and then merge all the outputs but then I realised I will get into the issue of overlapping images and dealing with merging tiles and so on.

And not to mention that the delivery format is JPG and not PNG.

Is there something that you would recommend? Am I looking at this the wrong way?

i.e would there be an option to render data as JPG and then edge tiles to render to PNG for easy merging? Or can I align the source data which is GDA94 MGA55 to Web Mercator and then tile?

Happy for any ideas or if anyone has had experience with this?

Sincerely
Dan

Comments

• DanDanAusDanDanAus Global Mapper User Posts: 13Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    I also tried this on v15 and this is the error

Global Mapper v15.1.1 (b011714) [64-bit]
    Unhandled MFC exception processing command message 33247 with code 0.
    Exception: bad allocation
    Dlgv32View.cpp - 6438
    Version: v15.1.1 (64-bit)
    Build Time: Jan 17 2014 16:15:07
    Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
    OK
    edited January 2014
    issue.png

and also here is a screen grab of the issue
    DanDanAus wrote: »
    I also tried this on v15 and this is the error

Global Mapper v15.1.1 (b011714) [64-bit]
    Unhandled MFC exception processing command message 33247 with code 0.
    Exception: bad allocation
    Dlgv32View.cpp - 6438
    Version: v15.1.1 (64-bit)
    Build Time: Jan 17 2014 16:15:07
    Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
    OK
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    Dan,

How large of an area are you trying to export? If you restart the exact same export again after the crash and check the box to 'Skip Existing Files' does it start back up where you left off or immediately give the same error again?

The error is a generic system exception about a problem allocating memory, if you open Task Manager is there a lot of memory in use when this happens? The catalog should manage the memory usage but perhaps something is going wrong.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • MykleMykle Global Mapper User Posts: 446Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Tiles at Zoom level 21, in the Open Street Maps structure, are 19m square or 7 cm per pixel. The number of tiles required to cover an area may be very large, and memory problems would not be a surprise.

Zoom level 16 is listed as a maximum for Open Street Maps (2.4m per pixel). I'm not familiar with creating Google Map Tiles, so there could certainly be some differences.

Mykle
    edited January 2014
    Hi Mike,

It crashes time and time again. It does not even create any tiles on the first go.

Tried both creating a catalog and also just plain.

The only option I was thinking of was to tile each ECW individualy but then I will have lots of issues with adjoining tiles since the data is tiled as JPG.

Any other thoughts?

Can some of this be scripted?
    edited January 2014
    It's possible that you are running out of memory just allocating the list of tiles to generate if your area of export and the resolution of the most detailed zoom level is resulting in many millions of tiles. If you try the export going to a less detailed max zoom level does that work, but it fails when you do the full resolution? If so that would indicate that there are just so many tiles that the full resolution export is blowing through what memory is available.

If that does work then, then you could try splitting the export into a few smaller pieces and check the 'ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds' option so the edge tiles are fully filled. You could export them to the same folder structure just fine since each tile filename is unique.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
    edited January 2014
    Hi Mike,

Unfortunately it is not feasible for us to split the data on many small sections as that would create a lot of extra work to then go an merge it and also the source imagery is in GDA but need to go to Mercator.

Neighbouring tiles because tiled to jpeg will be issues with transparency.

I did try another tool - MapTiler that seems to load the data and tile much better without crashing.

Sincerely
    Dan
    edited January 2014
    Dan,

The 'Fill to Tile Bounds' option would fix any issues with the transparency since the edge pixels would fill with data all the way to the tile edge rather than being transparent/background filled to the edges. I would only suggest splitting into maybe 4 or 8 smaller chunks. They could all export directly into the same folder structure and with the 'Skip Existing Tiles' option could all even run at once.

However this is only if the problem is due to the total number of tiles being exported is so large that you are ending up blowing through memory with just the tile list. That would require a pretty huge export (i.e. millions of tiles) in most cases though.

How many tiles does MapTiler end up creating?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation