Edit Featue Name?

Roger EdrinnRoger Edrinn Global Mapper UserPosts: 721Trusted User
edited January 2014 in Technical Support
How do I edit the Feature name in GM13.2?

According to the online manual, (Global Mapper - User's Manual) I can search by attributes and edit the "name" using the Edit Selected Button:
The Edit Selected button displays a dialog allowing the user to modify the name, feature type, and drawing style of any features selected.
That's NOT true, at least not with v13.2, I've tried. Is the manual out of date or am I?

IIRC, since v11 the Feature Name can NOT be directly edited, rather one must find the attribute selected by GM when the file was first opened and edit that attribute, then the Feature Name is automatically changed.

My root question, can I point the Feature Name "field" to another attribute other than the attribute initially selected? I'm dealing with an area dataset with ~10,000 records and I want to select another attribute for a subset of those records. Can I do this? If so, how? I don't want to copy the attributes one to another.

Thanks

Comments

• Roger EdrinnRoger Edrinn Global Mapper User Posts: 721Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Thought of a couple of ways to solve this:
    1. Open the dbf file in Excel and copy the names from different attributes to a new single attribute.
    2. Break the one file into multiple files and use the Vector Options dialog to select an attribute.

Is their an easier way?

Could I move the subset group to a new layer and select a unique attribute for just that layer? Thinking of possible solutions as I type.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited January 2014
    Roger,

The main tab of the Options dialog for a layer controls whether or not the feature display label comes from an attribute or not. Also when you specify an attribute-based label you can specify whether to save that to the special 'feature label' spot for each feature or to have it dynamically update as you edit the attributes.

There are some additional options and prompts in later versions to clarify the situation so you don't try to edit the Feature Label field when editing when the label is actually dynamically updated based on attributes, but I think v13.2 was the first version where the label handling was updated to support either dynamic or static labels, and that is where the extra complexity came in to support the new functionality.

Do you have any licenses for anything after v13.2? It should be more obvious in later versions, but in v13.2 I think if you go to the Options dialog for the layer you can specify that you want the label to come from different attributes and they will re-assign based on what you set.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited January 2014
    Do you have any licenses for anything after v13.2?
    No. Would consider later if the long sought user configurable edit icons ever appeared.
    but in v13.2 I think if you go to the Options dialog for the layer you can specify that you want the label to come from different attributes and they will re-assign based on what you set.
    Is not the "Use Selected Attribute . . ." in Vector Options a global command? I want to use different attributes for different subsets of my dataset. What is the best way to do that?

Still think the online and PDF manuals are incorrect/misleading, perhaps not after 13.2?

Just getting into my annual Global Mapper Mind Meld after a 7-month layoff, bit rusty.

Thanks
    edited January 2014
    Roger,

The Favorites toolbar available in v14 and later is meant to provide the customizable options as you can add commonly used things there and also assign custom shortcut keys. That allows you to make any of your commonly used Digitizer (or other) commands just a single click or key press away.

The 'Use Selected Attribute' does apply to the entire layer. If you want to do just some groups you might right-click on the layer in the Control Center and select to split by attribute and select the attribute of interest so you get separate layers for each particular attribute value, or you can select and edit the group of features in the Digitizer Tool and change the layer they are in (including creating a new layer which is what you want) on the edit dialog. Once they are in their own layer then the layer-specific settings should handle everything.

The online manuals would apply to the latest version, so they would apply to v15. Starting in v15 we also include pre-built help with each install so you will always have locally installed help that applies to the version you have, but that is a new thing.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited January 2014
    Roger,

The Favorites toolbar available in v14 and later is meant to provide the customizable options as you can add commonly used things there and also assign custom shortcut keys. That allows you to make any of your commonly used Digitizer (or other) commands just a single click or key press away.

Favorites Toolbar The Favorites Toolbar (pictured below) provides very convenient one-click access to many of the commands in Global Mapper, including nearly every Digitizer Tool command and many of the commands under the other menu commands. The toolbar consists of a drop-down with the configured Favorite options and commands to setup the Favorites and a green arrow that you press to active the currently selected command. You can also use the Ctrl+Enter shortcut key to run whatever the selected command is, thus creating a single configurable shortcut key. You can also use the Setup Favorites Shortcut Keys option to bring up a dialog allowing you to assign shortcut keys to any available command, providing quick keyboard access to nearly any functionality in the software! The Setup Favorites List option allows you to select commands to always have available in the Favorites drop-down list (above the first separator dashed line). The Favorites toolbar will also remember what you commonly use in the Digitizer Tool and automatically populate the list with up to 5 commonly used tasks (these are placed below the specifically selected commands).
    Toolbar_Favorites.png

If I understand correctly, you must use the drop-down list to select a favorite and only the last selected option is available via the green arrow? So if you want to sequentially select from various edit icons, each is a drop down and read the text, then select. If that is correct, it is hardly as convenient as selecting an icon. No interest in key strokes, requires two hands (Cntl-Enter-Key), don't wish to remove hand from mouse.

The issue to me is the vast multitude of edit icons of which I use 10% over & over again. I'd like to get the other 90% off the toolbar. While I can see a use for the Favorites Tool Drop Down, it doesn't appear to be a toolbar at all, except in name only.

Perhaps I don't understand, but I think I do.

Thanks for the reply, I'll review your attribute suggestions.
    edited January 2014
    Your understanding is correct, you would drop-down the list and select the one you want, then press the green arrow to use it or use Ctrl+Enter. For very fast selection the keyboard shortcuts are the suggested method as you can assign single keys, like the function (F?) keys to different operations, then have one hand on the mouse and quick select the function key with your other hand. That way you don't have to move the mouse up to the toolbar and lose your location. Of just assign a Ctrl or Alt+ anything to the command and that is still just a one hand keyboard shortcut.

Fully customizable toolbars probably won't be coming soon since the Favorites handled most users needs and trying to come up with descriptive buttons for the huge variety of functions is a bit of a nightmare. We could maybe have some kind of trimmed down toolbar with a subset of the commands, but since you still have to move your mouse to the toolbar to select them it seems less efficient for a large volume of operations.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru