Global Mapper Pro

Any ideas on exporting regions?

mikemo500
mikemo500 Global Mapper User
edited January 2014 in Elevation Data
Hi, all, I'm new here. I have a huge amount of LIDAR data. I also have over 100 miles of an alignment through the LIDAR elevation data. I need to export dxf points to create a surface for AutoCAD.

I have successfully done this in the past by clicking File>Export Elevation Grid Format, and then filling in the dialog box, including the "draw a box" option to pick the boundaries of the exported data. If I have a 3 mile x 3mile tile in global mapper, and I am only working with a small area within that, it helps to select a box only as big as I need in AutoCAD so that the program isn't bogged down.

BUT, this time, I have over 100 miles and it is curvey, so a "box" is still creating a whole lot of extra unneeded data. I would love to be able to select a curvey region instead of a box. Is there a way to do this? Or a hacked way to do this?

Or alternatively, is there a way to trim out the data I don't need from within Global mapper from the LIDAR file overlay before I export the dxf points?

Any and all help is much appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• CassandraQ
    CassandraQ Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    The export bounds can be restricted to any geographic area by drawing a polygon around the area using the digitizer tool. Select the polygon with the Digitizer before exporting and in the Bounds tab in the Export Options Dialog box, select the last option "Crop to Selected Area Feature." This will allow you to designate any shape for the area to export.

Lidar Data can be trimmed or filtered multiple different ways in Global Mapper. The geographic extent of the data can be cropped by drawing and selecting a polygons using the digitizer tool. With the polygon selected, the right click menu provides options for cropping and cutting. The Lidar Module, available with Global Mapper v15, has many added features for the support, editing, filtering and export of Lidar data specifically.

Thanks,
    Cassandra
  • mikemo500
    mikemo500 Global Mapper User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks Cassandra, this worked like a charm, the second time I tried it. The first time I tried it, I used a dwg closed polyline to define the region. It had some arc segments, which causes the global mapper to lock up. So I took all of the curve segments out of that polyline and it worked perfectly.

Thanks Again!
  • marlonthomas
    marlonthomas Global Mapper User
    edited January 2014
    Your forum is absolutely fantastic as the are lots of great information. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here.