Global Mapper v25.0

How to re-link files?

CraigA
CraigA Global Mapper User
edited December 2013 in Technical Support
Hello

Can anyone tell me how to re-link files? I haven't lost the link, but I want to use a revised version of a file. I guess I could replace the file that it uses (using the same folder, so the path is the same), but I don't want to do that as other users may be linking to it. I want to create a separate folder with the revised file (same name, properties, etc, but updated) and re-link to that file.

Also, when you draw lines, etc in GM, where is that data stored? I presume it's in the same place as the GM project file.

Thanks for your help.

Craig

Comments

• Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited December 2013
    Hello CraigA,

Are these file linked to specific Features? If so, you can change the link by highlighting the data layer in the Overlay Control Center, and then clicking the 'Search by Attribute Name...' button on the tools bar (looks like binoculars). Then, use the 'Edit Selected' button to access the 'Modify Feature Info' window, where you can delete existing links and add new ones to the selected Feature.

Please let me know if you are looking to modify different file links.

Regards,

Jasmine
  • CraigA
    CraigA Global Mapper User
    edited December 2013
    Hi Jasmine

Many thanks for your reply. I tried what you suggested, but I don't think that resolves my problem - but then I probably didn't describe it very well!

I originally loaded a shape file which was issued early 2013 (by the Countryside Council for Wales (CCW)). The same data has been updated by CCW and revised files have been released for use. A few days ago I downloaded the revised version of the shape file. Rather than loading the new file as a new separate layer and then having to style the data again, I just want to change the link to the older file to the newer file (which has to be in a different folder location from the earlier file) - that way, I hope all the styling is retained.

I know I could place the new file in the same location as the old file (replacing it), and GM should pick it up without any problem. However, I don't want to replace the original file as other people may be linking to it, hence the need to link to the revised file in a different folder location.

Hope that makes sense!

Craig
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2013
    Craig,
    If you have saved a workspace file (GMW), edit (text editor) a copy of the file to change the path of the old file. Does this do what you need?
    Mykle
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2013
    Thanks Mykle, I think that is the solution for Craig. Just open the .gmw with the original locations in Notepad, then do a Search-and-Replace on the original path with the new one and it should pick up the next files when you load the .gmw file back in.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation