Global Mapper v25.0

android, ios vs.

energy
energy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
Hi, are you thinking next gm for ios or android?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2013
    We may create a mobile version of GM at some point. Nothing in the next few months at least though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm, as an iPad owner, this is some interest, but I can't see quite how it would be useful. I can't imagine trying to do the stuff currently done on PC in something like an IOS environment. If I wanted to view GM output on an iPad (or Android) I would output JPG or PDF and use something like GoodReader on iPad. I would be interested to hear of a good use for GM on a mobile platform though.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2013
    I don't think you would have anything like the full suite of Global Mapper functionality on the mobile device (that would take many years to port anyway). What you would have is more an app for acquiring data in the field and then syncing it back to your desktop. It would of course be GPS-enabled as well.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
  • energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2013
    That is exciting news(I hope), but the things GM makes GM have too much functions and options:) you would not diminish functions
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2013
    The mobile interface isn't designed for all of the functionality that the desktop GM can offer, but you can run it now on something like a tablet PC in all of its glory! Any iOS/Android version of GM would be very simplified though simply because the effort to port the massive GM code-base in anything close to entirety to the mobile platforms would be tremendous! Only small essential bits for those things needed in the field would be added. Many of the 3rd-party libraries used by GM don't have iOS or Android versions and so couldn't be supported at all, but some core formats could.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited December 2013
    Data collection in the field seems like a great use case for a GM add-on (at least) for mobile devices.
  • DaveGoodrich
    DaveGoodrich Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2013
    Yes, think ArcPAD, without the $800ish price tag (and without the Windows Mobile). IMO, there is a market for a mobile GIS app that is reasonably priced, and that is not tied to Arc.... I just got a Galaxy Note 3. It is basically a nice computer you can hold in your hand (quad core processor, 3gb ram, up to 96gb storage, 1920 by 1080 screen, USB host, 4G and WiFi connectivity, GPS, 13mp camera, HD video camera). It is just dying for a GIS app to do it justice.
  • max72
    max72 Global Mapper User
    edited January 2014
    Just a little update, at least for Android users.
    I tested a couple of mapping apps, and oruxmaps looks like a perfect companion.
    You can export raster as mbtiles from Globalmapper. you can select jpg or png encoding depending on the map.
    Vectors can be exported as google earth files.
    The possibility to export directly from globalmapper is a great feature.
    Have to test data logging on the field and bringing back to globalmapper yet.
    Massimo
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    Global Mapper to Android of the same form we currently have with GM to Garmin map format. This is a two step process:
    1. Global Mapper exports a giant vector text file (Polish .MP format) of a selected area.
    2. The cGPS mapper compiler coverts that vector text file into a Garmin compatible binary map file.

Since the vector text output already exists within GM, is there a compiler which will create an Android map from that file or an equivalent file? Some other way?

The resultant binary file would not be editable, but you could see the map and more importantly, see were you are on the map via the on board GPS.

Any thoughts?
  • global_mapper
    edited May 2014
    Under File->Export->Export Web Formats you can export to MBTiles or RMaps, both of which are supported by several Android apps. Also some mobile apps will support PDF or GeoTIFF, such as some of the products from Avenza (PDFMaps I believe).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2014
    Thanks Mike,

I'll look into those suggestions and go from there.