How To Create / Export 2D Polylines?

kbelliskbellis Global Mapper UserPosts: 514Trusted User
edited December 2013 in Vector Data
Is it possible to create / export 2D polylines?

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2013
    Any line you create with the Digitizer Tool would be a 2D polyline. Or you could add per-vertex elevations and create a 3D polyline.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper
  • kbelliskbellis Global Mapper User Posts: 514Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Why then does the export to dwg create a 3D polyline?

DIGITIZED - DEDMON STREAM.zip
    edited November 2013
    If your original features have elevations then an export to DWG will create 3D polylines when the features have elevation, or 2D if they don't. If you want to remove the per-vertex elevations you can do that with the Digitizer Tool under the Vertex menu when you have 3D lines selected. If it's data that you drew it wouldn't have per-vertex elevations unless you added them though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
    edited November 2013
    The line was drawn, has no elevation data assigned to it and is still being reported by AutoCAD as being a 3D polyline.
    edited November 2013
    Kelly,

Ah it does look like the DWG export always created 3D polylines even if what is being exported doesn't have elevations. I'll fix that and get you a new build.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
    edited November 2013
    Kelly,

I have updated the DWG export so it should write out a 2D polyline for features with no Z component. However I did notice the DWG importer in Global Mapper uses a library that ends up adding a 0 elevation to all polyline features on the way in, but other software that more directly reads the DWG will not do that I think. Or you could write DXF instead since we directly read and write that without an intermediate library.

I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v15.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v15 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Global Mapper
    edited December 2013
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for this - much appreciated and a belated Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I'll download this and give it a spin :)

Kelly