Euler, Automag or EM1DFM Capability

TadRobinTadRobin Global Mapper UserPosts: 22Trusted User
edited November 2013 in How I use Global Mapper
Hello,

I have several sets of AeroMagnetics Surveys from Furgo and wanted to know if Global Mapper has the ability to determine (subsurface skin) depth from the data sets, specifically in 3 resistivity/conductive data sets?

Would be like Euler, EM1DFM or Automag.

Have searched the forum but found no references.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2013
    What format is the data you are trying to work with? There isn't any type of specific functionality to perform calculations like that, but you could maybe put something together with the raster calculator. I'm really not familiar enough with that data to say for sure.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper
  • TadRobinTadRobin Global Mapper User Posts: 22Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Hello Mike and thanks for responding.

The data is provided free from the Alaska DNR/mining site and comes in many formats so end users can pick which format they wish to use. Here is an example. (scroll to bottom of page). I see the line, vector, xyz and grid data in shp, xml, grd, ers and geosoft formats. So getting the data is no problem.

Using the available data is where I was hoping GM had some additional functionality. Honestly, I have tried Geosoft and ER mapper and found them to be too expensive and too "technical" for my limited experience and desired output.

The University of British Colombia (UBC), here, provides the algorithms, software and interfaces ( I think for free) but they do not license to individuals. I see Geosoft and Pitney Bowes are licensed. They in-turn commercialize the software and offer it as an expensive add-on module to an already expensive GIS (example Oasis Montaj) software product.

The resulting maps from purchasing and using the above mentioned (add-on) software provides a 1d, 2d or 3d depiction of the possible subsurface mineral deposits. Most importantly to me is the depth to the mineral contact in near surface anomalies.

The three data sets for EM frequencies of 56k, 7200 and 900 from the Alaska DNR site are free to all, the data processing software from UBC is free (I think) also, all I need now is an interface in GM that is as easy to use as the basic GM software.

I was hoping GM had the ability to incorporate the UBC software and interfaces. I like GM over many others and find it to be easy to use, was hoping they could add this capability if it did not already exist.

Thanks, Tad
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2013
    Tad,

Thank you for the explanation and links. I have added a task item (#12628) for us to investigate adding this analysis if feasible. If there are any developers out there familiar with this type of analysis it would also be a great candidate for a user-created feature extension to add into the GM interface so it could be done without having to wait for us to have time to do it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper
  • TadRobinTadRobin Global Mapper User Posts: 22Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Thanks Mike