How do I join adjacent Tiles?

svenky1980svenky1980 Global Mapper UserPosts: 1
edited November 2013 in Technical Support
Hi, I'm a new user here. Can someone tell me how to select an area on a DEM that lies between two tiles downloaded on Aster G-Dem??
Each tile shows an area of one degree by one degree, but what if I want to process information of an area that lies partly in two DEMs that are adjacent? Is there any way of cropping two DEMs and then joining them?

Please advice. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited October 2013
    If you export to a new terrain file using File->Export->Export Elevation Data you can specify the area to export on the Export Bounds tab. Global Mapper will automatically join the layers to form a new one filling the specified bounds.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Global Mapper
  • JSLJSL Global Mapper User Posts: 434Trusted User
    edited November 2013
    Are you saying that it's possible to merge two or more hgt files into one? I'm using the "create areas" function to make areas from contours, and I'd like to smooth the results, but because the contours cross hgt files, smoothing them results in separate areas with strange looking edges.

Also, I don't see the "File->Export->Export Elevation Data" command--are you referring to "File->Export->Export Elevation Grid Format"?

Thanks for your help.
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited November 2013
    Yes that's the menu command I'm referring to. And yes you can merge multiple files easily. Just load them all, then export to a new file in the desired format and specify the bounds to export (the default is everything loaded merged into one file).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation