Global Mapper Pro

Global Mapper v15.0 Beta Available

global_mapper
global_mapper Administrator
edited October 2013 in Announcement and News
We are pleased to announce the upcoming release of Global Mapper v15! This major release offers a variety of powerful, new features and functions that we know you will find useful. Thank you for your ongoing interest and support of Global Mapper. We look forward to your feedback during the beta period. Please send your questions and suggestions to geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com.

You can download and install the initial beta of Global Mapper v15 from the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_setup.exe
64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_setup_64bit.exe

With Version 15 we are pleased to inform you of an exciting change in Global Mapper that will help to organize future features & enhancements as the product grows and matures. We will now be offering optional modules in Global Mapper, in order to provide users with enhanced functionality which may be required for advanced or specialized analysis of certain datasets or data types.

New LiDAR Module Available in Global Mapper v15!

After an extensive research and development effort into some of the leading LiDAR software applications on the market today, we are pleased to announce the release of the Global Mapper LiDAR Module. This new module will be an optional purchase per seat for those interested in the advanced functions which may be leveraged through the toolbar. Some of these new features include (but are not limited to),

• Faster gridding of point cloud data
• Automatically find and classify ground points in unclassified point clouds
• NEW! Lidar Toolbar, allows quickly classifying selected Lidar points and setting Lidar draw mode
• E57 LiDAR format support
• NEW! Path Profile Viewer allows users to view LiDAR points directly in the path profile display window. Users can also directly edit LiDAR points and manipulate LiDAR classifications from the path profile view, rather than from a sub-menu (not found in any other LiDAR software application available today)

We happily conclude that all of the additional LiDAR analysis and editing functionality available in the new LiDAR module will be priced at a fraction of the cost of some other, more expensive LiDAR software applications. Below are some other new features which will be included in the upcoming version of Global Mapper.

New Features Available in Global Mapper v15!
• NEW! 3D PDF import and export
• NEW! Raster calculator performs mathematical calculations on multi-band imagery
• NEW! Edit and re-calculate multiple view shed layers
• Direct ECEF loading from ASCII Files option
• Much improved load and render of DXF/DWG files, especially related to text
• Much, much more!

Global Mapper will now feature an extension plug-in interface that will allow software developers to write custom extensions for Global Mapper and extend and add whatever functionality they deem interesting in a Global Mapper extension. Version 15 will feature two new extensions, the COAST 3D coastal flood modeling tool for coastal flood cost/benefit analysis & prediction, as well as the Overview Window tool, which displays the current map view & provides additional navigation capabilities within a rectangular sub-window.

Please contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com for more information about our pre-buying options.

Thanks,

Mike
Global Mapper Guru
geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation

Edit:

Global_Flyer: As a quick reminder, users are able to save 10% on their v15 upgrade order by taking advantage of special coupons that Blue Marble Geographics has offered exclusively to Global Mapper Forum.com. For discounted price information, please see:

http://www.<wbr>globalmapperforum.com/global-<wbr>mapper-pricing/

Comments

• kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Hi Mike,

This is exciting and welcomed news! Thank you for all of your excellent work.

A few things are unclear; starting with this public forum: Is it still okay to ask questions here? In the notice above you say to:
    Please send your questions and suggestions to geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com.

And then the second thing I'm still puzzled about, on the 28th you said:
    I think we are planning on releasing the beta here on the forum next week. I'm sure pricing will be announced at that time as well.
    But your notice given above does not include a single price, regardless of any module pricing schema.

I'm sure everybody that frequents this forum, all other current Global Mapper enthusiasts and future students of Global Mapper will be wondering what features that are currently available in v14.2 might have been relocated into an addon module of v15; for example, will all of the current LiDAR functionalities that are in v14.2 no longer be present in the unnamed "base" version of v15 and that the so-called premium "Global Mapper LiDAR Module" will be required to be purchased separately?

Many of my prospective students, professional land surveyors that have expressed a need for the Global Mapper Saturday School scheduled starting next month being offered through RSU24's Adult Ed Program haven't yet even purchased a license of Global Mapper or have yet to upgrade from their older versions; e.g., v13. Up until now I've suggested to them that they hold off as 15's release was imminent, but without prices to tell them, and particularly since we will be spending time on working with LiDAR, I'm not sure how to advise them.

The other features that had been previously discussed concerning the integration of vertical considerations including working with geoid models, transformations between terrestrial vertical datums like NGVD29 to NAVD88, etc., are missing from from this beta - have they been dropped from incorporation into Global Mapper v15?

beta-registration.png(I've redacted my ID)

Issues of pricing and possible missing features aside, should beta testers Request a 2-Week Trial License for all of the presently offered optional premium addons; i.e., GEM, LiDAR, OTF in addition to the compulsory 2-Week Trial License for v15? Here's the error I received when trying to do so:
    error1.png

Clicking OK, and then closing the application and starting it anew, then there is seen this next error message:
    error2.png

Clicking OK user is prompted to re-register all over again as if they hadn't already registered the v15 demo.

More testing later - I've got a meeting to get to...
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    kbellis wrote: »
    Hi Mike,

Issues of pricing and possible missing features aside, should beta testers Request a 2-Week Trial License for all of the presently offered optional premium addons; i.e., GEM, LiDAR, OTF in addition to the compulsory 2-Week Trial License for v15? Here's the error I received when trying to do so:
    error1.png

Clicking OK, and then closing the application and starting it anew, then there is seen this next error message:
    error2.png

Clicking OK user is prompted to re-register all over again as if they hadn't already registered the v15 demo.

More testing later - I've got a meeting to get to...

Hello,

I followed those steps and it worked for me. I tried it out with the same 64bit version.
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    That's good to hear Robert as I also have the 64-bit version on my Win7 64-bit machine... will uninstall and try from scratch again.
  • RobertR
    RobertR GlobalMapper Fan! Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    kbellis wrote: »
    That's good to hear Robert as I also have the 64-bit version on my Win7 64-bit machine... will uninstall and try from scratch again.

I just followed the instructions, did not change the installing path (C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit);

I also filled-in everything in the registration window.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Yes sure please ask questions here. The new modules will not remove any functionality that you had in v14.2 and move it to one of the add-on modules, the modules are for new stuff not in the normal Global Mapper v14.2, especially related to Lidar. The OTF extension is for a special military format that almost no one outside the Army will care about. The GEM module is what used to be in Global Energy Mapper and will also have the vertical datum conversion support if you have a Geographic Calculator license as well. There will be a separate announcement about the GEM stuff later.

For pricing please contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com. I think some pricing may still be getting tweaked, but they are in line with the normal every other year price increases. They will have to be publicly posted before the official release.

I have also fixed the issue with extensions trying to update a config file in the .exe path. I'll post a new beta installer later today.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Pricing information for the upcoming v15 release is now available. Please contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com for more information about our pre-buying options.

Single User License (New Purchase & Upgrades)

Single Machine Lock:.............................................................................................. $449.00

Multi-Purchase (two or more, priced per license):...................................................... $399.00

Single License Upgrade (version 14 to 15):................................................................ $169.00

Single License Upgrade (pre version 14):................................................................... $336.75

NEW LiDAR Module (Separate Purchase)

Single Machine Lock:.............................................................................................. $499.00

Network License (New Purchase)

2 Seat Network License:................. $1,596.00

5 Seat Network License:................. $3,490.00

10 Seat Network License:............... $5,980.00

*Please contact your sales representative (gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com) for network license upgrade pricing

USB Dongle License Single

USB Dongle:...................................................................................................... $999.00*

USB Dongle Upgrade (version 14 to 15):........................................................................ $374.63

*Additional shipping and handling fees apply

If you require additional information, please contact Blue Marble Geographics directly by calling +1 (207) 622-4622 or by emailing us at gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Just to confirm: It's $950 for GM with the LiDAR module - is that correct?
    946 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    Hi Mike,

Some suggestions about the new Lidar Module:
    - It will be nice to have the option to triangulate ground points only, after classifying with GM without exporting and importing again only with ground class active.
    -Also the ability to classify in the path profile window class "0"/Unclassified & "7"/Low Point.(as some ground points are not ground or veg or building)
    -Would be nice for the corridor to be dynamic. When you need to classify building points for example you need to go step by step or to mesure before and then set the corridor distance.
    -The corridor should be straight and not round, as this creates some confusion regarding the points inside corridor.

A really nice release , good-look,

Remi
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Yes the price for a brand new single user v15 license + the Lidar module would be about $950 US.

I'm working on a dynamic Lidar class filter now, so by the official v15 release it should be much easier to filter by class on-the-fly for things like gridding. I'll also add key-pad based reclassification (0-9) in the path profile when Lidar points are selected.

You can change the corridor width under the Path Options menu on the Profile dialog, including after initially settings the path. Would the corridor be better straight at the ends but still rounded to get accurate distance from path on the interior of a multi-point path?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    946 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    For sure the corridor is better straight in the ends as you would draw the path profile until a point of interest and when is round you get points in plus in profile view that are stacked in each side.

I was thinking about a dynamic creation of this corridor. Like you finished drawing the path profile with the left mouse button, you could after set the width "by eye" by moving with the left button pressed until the optimum distance (that you see in the main window).Basically you would have 2 steps when creating a lidar path profile. first draw the length and after draw the width.
    But to have also the option to check the box and set a certain distance for the width as this is important in some situations .

Thanks,

Remi
  • DustyRobinson
    DustyRobinson Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2013
    How much for a Network License upgrade?
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Please contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com and they can quote you on upgrading your particular network license setup. They vary enough that the quotes are on a case-by-case basis for upgrading those.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    I'm guessing that the install file was updated as its properties differ from the 1st installation; however, still am getting error messages.

2nd install.PNG

Here's the error message encountered:
    error3.png
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    It was updated. Can you send the license file listed in that 2nd error to me at geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com so I can see what is wrong?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Sent just now.
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Here's the build in question:
    090413 1342.PNG
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    FWIW and FYI

So as an experiment, I released the three modules:
    release of modules.PNG

Next, I did an uninstall using the install.exe:
    removed.PNG

Then reinstalled and the error messages associated with the license did not reoccur.
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Is there any reason why the required information for the License Activation can't be saved in Windows Registry and automatically used to populated these fields?

registration form.PNG
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    This message might be more clearly worded:
    cannot export.PNG

If I'm understanding things correctly, maybe something like:

"Cannot export copyright protected files."
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Running GM v15 without any registered modules apparently works fine.

Registering GEM module... works okay.

Close app.

Open app up and now see this:
    error4.PNG

then user must re-enter all licensing information yet again...
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Releasing the GEM module seems to be the only way to get around this for now.. and didn't require a remove / re-installation.
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    This issue isn't limited to the GEM module - the LiDAR module seems to also be making the check of license.Exception flex license choke.
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    And like with the release of the GEM module license, release of the LiDAR module license allows GM v15 to subsequently fire up again with only the obligatory message about this being a demo which expires in 2 weeks.
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    I haven't got your .lic file yet, but for some reason your emails always come in about 12 hours after you see them, like they are held somewhere for a while. I think tomorrow I'll remove my licenses and try requesting multiple demos and see if I can reproduce it. I did update the installers about 30 minutes ago with a new 'height above ground' mode for Lidar and also made the registration dialog remember your info so you don't have to re-type it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • reinadeoz
    reinadeoz Global Mapper User
    edited September 2013
    Global Energy Mapper 15.0 includes all of the improvements and enhancements to Global Mapper 14.2 such as improved Volume Measurement Tools, many scripting updates and additions, and many enhancements. Can you explain how may to use?
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    <snip> I did update the installers about 30 minutes ago with a new 'height above ground' mode for Lidar and also made the registration dialog remember your info so you don't have to re-type it.

Thanks Mike.

Running third installation file:
    3rd install.PNG

Results in:
    error5.PNG

Program terminated abruptly (crash).

Running the same installation .exe for a second time, this time the Program Maintenance dialog allowed for removal... Finished.
    Ran installation .exe again. Results in the same crash.

Other note: it messed with the toolbars (both times)
    error6.PNG

Next, I uninstalled through Windows Control Panel and manually removed any vestige of folders under C:\Program Files; ran installation .exe and something that has been observed - now three times, but only here first reported, the demo message:
    demo-screen2.png
    is seen, click OK, and then GM tries to launch but stopped by Runtime Error! message (again). Also, what wasn't seen, at no time in any of the three attempts just this morning was user presented with any license-related dialog.

I haven't got your .lic file yet, but for some reason your emails always come in about 12 hours after you see them, like they are held somewhere for a while. <snip>

As for the chronic email lag, I believe that the issue didn't present until Blue Marble got involved with Global Mapper and then the duration of these delays have been random.
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    reinadeoz wrote: »
    Global Energy Mapper 15.0 includes all of the improvements and enhancements to Global Mapper 14.2 such as improved Volume Measurement Tools, many scripting updates and additions, and many enhancements. Can you explain how may to use?

Hi reinadeoz,

Your question is huge and it really makes for the meat of the entire globalmapper forum website that Paul has so graciously provided to our community. You might get better replies by posting it in any of the other discussion headings or just start by checking out all of the tutorials here: Global Mapper Tutorials | Global Mapper Forum
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2013
    Ok I've tracked down the problem with the demos and other crashses from last night's build and posted new installers that should deal with all of those. Demo functionality should work properly now with modules also licensed.

Going forward the extra GEM (Global Energy Mapper) functionality will be available as an add-on module to Global Mapper rather than an entirely separate product, which should simplify things quite a bit. Once you enable that module then the extra GEM stuff will be there. No pricing has been set for GEM yet, that should be officially announced around the time the official GM15 is released.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    Thanks Mike.

Sorry to report the issue with the GEM module is not resolved.
    4th install.PNG
    (note, this was captured at end of test)

Initial installation went fine. Ran app. Closed app. Ran app. - all good. Next tried GEM module, had to register, then closed app. Launched again, then two error messages before app would run *** UNREGISTERED ***
    error7.PNGerror8.PNG
  • kbellis
    edited September 2013
    And as noted earlier, the unwanted behavior is avoided altogether after the GEM module license has been released allowing the program to run REGISTERED