Simulate water level rise/flooding

LocLoc Global Mapper UserPosts: 21Trusted User
edited May 2015 in Technical Support
Hi Mike, the "Simulate water level rise/flooding" feature used to let me simulate a water surface between elevation 135 and 140 if the set up shown in the attached image is used. However, this feature does not to simulate water surface like it used to any more. The current simulation will always result in a water surface covering from 0 to 140, regardless what elevation is used in the "increase from elevation" box. When I look closely at the "increase from elevation" option in the "Water Rise Calculation Setup" window, I now see the less-than-and-equal sign '<=', which means the water level will start from 0 to 140. How do I simulate a water level between 135 and 140?

I don't like my current workaround by first (open the "Overlay Control Centre" then "Options" then alter the elevation values to limit "minimum valid elevation"), then ("simulate water level rise/flooding") because I have to remember the data minimum valid elevation value and re-enter it after the water level simulation is done.

Thanks.

untitled.bmp

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2013
    It was changed because the fixed level rise was typically used for sea level and those data sets so if you wanted to rise from a data set with bathymetry so you didn't necessarily have the ocean at 0 it wouldn't work everywhere because there weren't samples at that elevation.

Do you have an area feature for your region that you want to raise up? Or do you have a flattened region that is exactly at 135 so it would have worked before (i.e. 134.9 would not have been checked before, only exactly 135). To check the water rise from a lake it is better to start with an area feature at the 135 level, then select that and choose to rise from the selected areas rather than a fixed level which is better for sea level rise.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • LocLoc Global Mapper User Posts: 21Trusted User
    edited August 2013
    Hi Mike, your suggestion works well for me and I will use it going forward. Thanks.
  • Roman PermyakovRoman Permyakov Global Mapper User Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    Hi all,
    Could you help me. What an interpolation method is used while rising a water level over DEM? And why in some places an accuracy of heights measurements is achieved 0,001 meters? It`s strange that a border of flooding changes so significantly while increasing the water level even on 1 cm though a DEM cell size is just about 5 meters. Thanks.
    height.gif