Global Mapper v25.0

Sample *.txt for manual defined roughness conversion

HendrikNoecker
HendrikNoecker Global Mapper User
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Hello Mike,

I really like the new and improving CORINE to roughness area feature.
As been described in the "Help Manual", using a custom defined roughness table during the conversion is possible. But unfortunately the link in the manual is not working and there is also no "sample_roughness.txt" on my local "C:" hard drive. So I don't know what this *.txt should look like...

And did I get it right: I just have to store this *.txt on my hard drive (c:\Users\hnoecker\AppData\Local\GlobalMapper\) and I'm done?

Or do I have to link the conversation process to this file?

Can you please post a sample of the *.txt e.g.?

Thanks (a lot!) in advantage,

Hendrik

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2013
    Hendrik,

The filename should be roughness_tables.txt and that looks like the correct folder. You can find a sample file at www.globalmapper.com/helpv14/roughness_tables.txt.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • HendrikNoecker
    edited July 2013
    Hello Mike,

thanks again!

Hendrik
  • HendrikNoecker
    edited July 2013
    For anyone else interested in this topic:

You will have to choose "Roughness for WindSim" during the conversation process. Otherwise GM will not use your custom build roughness_table.txt but using the stadart build instead.

But it really works fine.
  • HendrikNoecker
    edited July 2013
    Hello Mike.

During the custom build process I got one more task to do.
    My boss told me that I should also mention the size of different areas.

Example:
    CORINE class 1: Continuos urban farbic.

roughness value 1:
    Exceptions:
    area < 1 Mio sqm: 0.5
    area < 2.5 Mio sqm: 0.8

Is there any way to handle this during the conversation process?
    Or do I need to use a workaround:
    - Create roughness areas.
    - Export ( and Re-Import) of only the roughness areas.
    - Use Digitizer tool and select areas smaller than 2.5 Mio sqm (--> "Advanced Selection Options" --> "Select all areas/island smaller than size")
    - Copy the result into a new session (It's strange, but GM 14.2 has problems pasting this selected areas into a new sessin/ layer)
    - Change the roughness value

- to this again with areas smaller than 1 Mio sqm

- combine the results.

Thanks for any suggestions how to make this a little bit smarter. Or how to solve the "copy" and "paste" issue... because this doesn't work right now.

Thanks in advantage,
    Hendrik
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2013
    Hendrik,

What build date do you have? The copy/paste is working fine for me. You might get the latest (v14.2.4) from Global Mapper Downloads and see if that makes a difference.

The roughness grid/area calculation only operations on a single roughness sample at a time, so it doesn't support different roughness values for different size areas. You can do like you are and set the roughness to the larger value, then after the areas are created select all below the sizes specified and edit them with the Digitizer Tool and change the roughness value. You shouldn't really need to copy them to a new instance of Global Mapper to do this. Just select everything below 2.5 sq mi and make the roughness 0.8, then select all below 0.5 sq mi and make that 0.5.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • HendrikNoecker
    edited August 2013
    Hello Mike.

Thank you for the workflow. This way it works fine for me.

Hendrik