Symbol type of points in .gpx files is not preserved on re-export.

vaxvax Global Mapper UserPosts: 123Trusted User
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
Hello,

it appears that the <sym></sym> tag is imported correctly as attribute by GM, but when trying to export data in new .gpx file, all symbols are replaced with something else, mainly dots (<sym>Dot</sym>).

Is there any option in GM that would allow to preserve the symbol type attribute when exporting?

Regards,
vax

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2013
    vax,

I have updated the GPX import to assign the point symbol based on the <sym> tag, so if there is a point symbol in Global Mapper (including a custom one) whose name matches the <sym> tag, that symbol will be used. In addition, on export to GPX, if there is a "sym" attribute that value will be used for the <sym> tag rather than the point symbol name. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • vaxvax Global Mapper User Posts: 123Trusted User
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Mike,

trying to test this feature on v14 (unregistered version), I noticed a massive slowdown - ~8 sec to open a GPX file, compared to v13 (that's the one I work with). Is this slowdown intentional, or can be considered a normal way of functioning of GM14? Opening of a GPX on v13 was almost immediate ...

Regards,
    vax
    edited July 2013
    How large is the GPX file? Looks like the largest one I have is only about 400 KB, but it opened instantaneously. The load of large GPX files should now have a progress dialog, but that shouldn't really slow anything down.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
    edited July 2013
    I try to open 2-3 small files, ~400k each. Saying again - there is a huge difference compared to v13. Could it be related to some protection scheme, etc., of the new v14?
    edited July 2013
    About testing the fix - it seems that the new v14 does not support exporting in trial mode ?
    edited July 2013
    There really shouldn't be anything slowing down the load of GPX, but it's possible I accidentally slowed things down a lot when adding the progress reporting for XML-based files. I haven't seen anything like that though. Can you provide some samples that load slowly?

If you request a trial license from the registration dialog in v14 you should be able to test a couple of exports, but you can only try a few with the built-in trial.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited July 2013
    Mike,

it appears that this effect can be seen opening other formats - e.g. .shp. The size of the file doesn't matter, just each one introduces a ~5 sec delay. If I open a lot of files, I get a lot of 5 sec delays added to the normal data-read time.
    edited July 2013
    That is very strange. What is the build date that you are running? Do you know if the delay is before or after loading the file? It would be easy to tell that when loading a file that is large and has progress. If there is a delay before the progress shows then the delay is before the open and not after.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2013
    That is very strange. What is the build date that you are running? Do you know if the delay is before or after loading the file? It would be easy to tell that when loading a file that is large and has progress. If there is a delay before the progress shows then the delay is before the open and not after.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru

Hi Mike,

I do not see a progress indicator at all, no matter what is the file size.
    I made several tests, here is what I found:

- on v.14.0 there is no delay, compared to v13
    - on v.14.1/2 the delay is visible
    - delay is probably there before the file is opened --> on a shapefile without a projection info I have GM doing nothing for 5 sec, followed by the define projection dialog. After I select a projection, loading seems to happen with normal speed. On v13/v14.0 projection dialog pops-up immediately.
    - I tested a 198 MB GPX file. With v13/14.0 it loads for 26 sec. With v14.1 (b041513) loading takes 31 sec (26 + 5 ?); with the one you posted yesterday, it takes again 31 sec. All v14 are unregistered versions (I haven't purchase a v14 license yet).
    - All tests were on a fast i7/Win7/64 system. I made also the same tests on a different Core2/WinXp/32 machine with a registered v13 and unregistered v14.1 (030413), results were identical.
    edited July 2013
    I may have discovered the issue. In v14.1 we added support for USB dongle licensing and we have seen systems where the check for a USB dongle takes just about 5 seconds when they don't have the dongle installed. When registered this isn't an issue because the license is found at startup and the dongle is only checked for if you don't have a normal license.

Whenever you load a file the dongle was being checked for before loading the file. I have updated this behavior to only check for the dongle if you have hit your limit on the number of files you can load with the unregistered version. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2013
    I may have discovered the issue. In v14.1 we added support for USB dongle licensing and we have seen systems where the check for a USB dongle takes just about 5 seconds when they don't have the dongle installed. When registered this isn't an issue because the license is found at startup and the dongle is only checked for if you don't have a normal license.

Whenever you load a file the dongle was being checked for before loading the file. I have updated this behavior to only check for the dongle if you have hit your limit on the number of files you can load with the unregistered version. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Mike, it all seems to work now!

I obtained a two-week license for GM14 to test some functionalities, etc. The GPX export seems to preserve types already - as this was the original topic of the thread.

Regards,
    vax