Error exporting ECW map

TxumbiTxumbi Global Mapper UserPosts: 3
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
Good morning. The last times I have tried to export an ECW map Global Mapper has given me the following error message:
The size of the image that you seleted to create was too large to export vector data and /or scale/legend/grid data to. TO decrease the size of the image, either increase the Sampling Spacing or decrease the Export Bounds. if you choose to continue, only raster imaginery and gridded elevation data will be exported to the file. Would you like to continue anyway?
Without making any change in the settings, I have tried with maps I prepared in the past (no problem ontained in the past and the ECW was correctly exported), trying to export them again but the failure message also appeared. I have also tried to remove some shapes in order to reduce the amount of info, or to modify the compression or the Sampling values, also exporting only part of the map, but the same result was always obtained.
Has anyone had this problem before? Does anyone know how to solve it?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2013
    Which version of Global Mapper are you using? That error should almost never happen. The only time that I can think of that it could happen is if your temp folder doesn't have enough space to store tiles of rendered images with the vector data for combined export to ECW. Is the drive with your temp folder on it nearly full?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • TxumbiTxumbi Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    I am currently using the v14. I had nearly 25Gb of space in my C drive, I cleared some more space (up to 35Gb) and it initially worked, but I ried the day after and it is not working any more. I have cleared up to 50Gb and it does not work. The same error message appears. Do you know which could be the reason?
    Thank you very much.
    edited July 2013
    How large of area are you trying to export and at what resolution? The large temporary files needed to rasterize vector data for a massive output file could take up a lot of space since they aren't compressed like the final ECW output is. One other option is to use the Gridding option to split your export into smaller pieces, then load those back in and do a single new export from just the raster data. Then there aren't any temp files.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • TxumbiTxumbi Global Mapper User Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    How can I tell you how large is the area? It is one of the sections of the spanish ortophoto map.

I have already tried to create the map only with half of this ortophoto but it also failed.

thanks for you help!
    edited July 2013
    The Export Bounds tab of the export dialog will specify how large of an area you will be exporting. That combined with the sample spacing/resolution will determine the output pixel dimensions. This must be extremely large to result in problems rendering the vector data for the export.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru