Exporting to e-on Vue - and a query about .obj

EllieEllie Global Mapper UserPosts: 29
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
Hello!
I'm a LiDAR worker in Australia and we are looking to drag our data for use in e-on Vue. We are having a little bit of trouble getting into Vue, however, with most of the blame admittedly being at Vue's feet.

So far, we have tried:
- generating obj via Meshlab: yielded bizarre results despite following instructions
- importing DEM form GM: Vue decided to make it a different shape (see e-on software - Viewtopic )
- DXF straight from Terrain or GM: apparently Vue takes a special sort of DXF
- heightmap from each tile: ongoing. We use Toppit to process but sadly it yields 8bit images, which do not agree with Vue either. I am currently looking into importing the xyz into GM and outputting through that to get 16 bit but I wanted to ask below question.
- Exporting data to obj via Autodesk software: have not yet been able to get Autodesk to recognise anything to export. Probably PEBKAC issue though.
- pts2poly: Too many points in even a small area.

Trying:
- As mentioned: xyz through GM to 16bit heightmap
- When better mood returns, .3ds output from 3ds Max
- Found this method and will also try it: e-on software - Viewtopic
- see query below

The query (now the ranting is done)
I've googled a bit but have not found proper confirmation one way or the other. Is it possible to export to .obj from GM in any way?

Vue imports the following formats:

3DS: 3D Studio™ object file format, Conversion of Max animated objects to Vue format (using the included plugins)
3DMF: 3D Metafile object file format.
COB: TrueSpace™ object file format.
DAE: Collada animated object file format.
DEM: USGS Digital Elevation Model. Terrains are placed according to information in the file (ideal for importing multi-part DEMs).
DXF: AutoCad™ object file format. LIES: Confirmed to be a weird DXF format.
LWO, LWO2: LightWave™ object file format.
MDD: MDD file format (for importing animated geometry).
OBJ: Wavefront™ object file format (with automatic MTL library conversion).
PZ3, PZZ: Smith Micro™ Poser® static/animated scene import (requires Poser 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or Pro).
RAW: Raw geometry file format.
SHD: Shade™ 6 object file format.
TGA: 16 bit RG encoded Targa altitude map.
WML: VRML object file format.

I'm strongly trying to avoid Terragen.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited July 2013
    I wonder if the DEM file stretching issue is that Vue doesn't handle DEMs with some invalid values in them properly. DEM files store the elevations a column at a time and if any samples at the top or bottom of the column are invalid they aren't stored to save space. If Vue can't handle this it would shift that column.

To test this try exporting a DEM from Global Mapper that is completely contained within a valid section of the DEM, like a little box inside a loaded layer. If that works in Vue, then try going to the Alter Elevations tab of the Options dialog for the terrain layers in Global Mapper and choose to replace invalid with some value, like 0, then do the export to DEM. That should hopefully cause all valid samples to be included in the export to avoid the shift.

For the DXF, what is the weird DXF format supported by Vue? There are a few DXF exports from Global Mapper for terrain so perhaps one of them will work.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation