Importing points and color them after given intensity values

naugustinnaugustin Global Mapper UserPosts: 39Trusted User
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
Hi,

I like to import a three column txt-file containing coordinates (lat/long) and intensity values measured for each point.
The goal is to import the points to my mapping project and color the points after the intensity. I get the points in to Global Mapper easily but I can not get them colored. Do the txt-file need to have a special form or what do I need to do? I guess that somehow that can´t be too difficult and I just missed something :rolleyes:

Cheers, Nico

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2013
    Nico,

If you treat the 3rd column (intensity) as 'elevation' you can use a built-in shader (or a custom one) to color it. Just load your data with File->Open Generic ASCII Text File and specify to create an elevation grid and that the 3rd value is 'elevation', then you can immediately create an elevation grid and render the data with an elevation shader. You can select the shader to use on the drop-down on the toolbar.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • naugustinnaugustin Global Mapper User Posts: 39Trusted User
    edited June 2013
    Hi Mike,

I only want to color the points and not grid. I thought it would may work to load the data as points (and tell GM that the third line would be elevation data) and in the options, under point styles to apply "Styling based on attributes" (elevation). But this is not working. I also activated under "Feature Type/Labels/Elevations" the Elevation at "Get 'Elevations' from attribute value".
  • global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2013
    Of if you just want to style the points then load as 'Point Only' and check to include attributes from coordinate lines. You can uncheck the option to treat the 3rd value as elevation. Then you should have an attribute (probably named ATTR_1) with the intensity. You can set up attribute-based styling for that on the Point Styles tab of the Options dialog for the layer. Use one of the custom color/size symbols and then the color of the symbols can smoothly transition between values.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • BrodonBrodon Global Mapper User Posts: 1
    edited July 2013

Hi everyone! I am new in this forum.Thank you for sharing your information.........

Brodon