Projection issue with WMS feed

SatmapSatmap Global Mapper UserPosts: 4
edited July 2013 in Projection Questions
Hi there,

We are having issues downloading a WMS feed into Global Mapper into the right projection. The WMS has UTM 32630 enabled for the UK and we set the parameters to the following on download:

Service Name: WMS&ERS=EPSG:32630

I have tried adding OpenStreetMap into a new workspace to test that it loads correctly, zoomed into the south of UK, re-projected the workspace into 32630 (the OSM appears as it should). I then add the WMS feed over the top of the OSM but it skews the text so it is illegible. If I then click on the WMS layer in the Control Center and manually change the projection to 32630 from Geo/WGS84 the data disappears into the ether.

I have tried the WMS feed in QGIS and it projects correctly i.e. 32630 does not distort the data as it does in Global Mapper.

We are using GM v14.1

Can you help?

Many thanks! :)

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited June 2013
    It looks like your Service Name has &ERS rather than &SRS. Can you try a Service Name value of 'WMS&SRS=EPSG:32630 instead and see if that works?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • SatmapSatmap Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the prompt response. I have still had no luck with changing the parameter you suggest. We have checked the logs for the WMS and it is still trying to request in geographic 4326 from Global Mapper even when the workspace is 32630 and the request is specifically asking for 32630 which is enabled for the WMS. However in QGIS it successfully requests and displays in 32630. I have tried removing the WMS, deleted caches and tried earlier versions of GM (11 & 12) but still no luck. Any further suggestions? Thanks
    edited July 2013
    Rather than entering the projection in the Service Name, there should be a 'Projection to Use' drop-down on the dialog where you add the WMS source. It could be that the 32630 is specified in a slightly different way. You can select exactly how it is specified on that drop-down and it should pass on to the server that way when you select it.

If this doesn't help, can you provide the URL so that I can try?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited July 2013
    The drop-down doesn't have any options it just reads 'automatic' but I have typed in 32630 over the top and it still does not project correctly.

Have sent the WMS link in a PM just now

Thanks

Satmap
    edited July 2013
    I received the WMS link and tried it. The problem was that the WMS server listed the SRS codes like 32630, but didn't actually provide a bounding box for those projection codes, just the default lat/lon box. I have updated the WMS load to automatically generate a bounding box for all projection codes if none is provided, so now 32630 works. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited July 2013
    Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the new build - it is now working correctly!

I now have another question relating to cutting of tiles from the WMS feed.

We need to cut the WMS feed into square PNG (with PGW) tiles such as 2000x2000 or 4000x4000 pixels as this is the format that our GPS unit can work with. With the WMS feed we need to cut 3 layers of zoom levels which are if cutting to Bing web format would be approximately Level 14, Level 15 and Level 16. The resulting 3 layers will go onto a SD card that slots into the GPS device. We are not able to utilise the 'Export Web Format' tool (such as Bing format or OSM tiles) as these are the wrong pixel value dimension and will not work on the GPS device, therefore we have to cut them through the 'Export Raster/Image Format' tool. I am able to successfully cut the data to replicate the same level of detail as Level 16 by cutting the sample spacing to '2' and the grid cell pixel size to 4000x4000 and the zoom level in the workspace is 1:25,000. I am using the 'crop to selected area' on export of a 10x10km box (100km.sq). However I need to be able to cut the data to a smaller scale with less detail but am unable to do this through the 'Export Raster/Image Format' tool as the output is the same as the Level 16 cut when changing the sample spacing. Zooming in and out to various scales in the workspace does not change the export tiles outputed either unless I zoom into 1:10,000 or larger and the level of detail definitely increases in the resulting output files. I can however cut the data with the Export Web Format (OSM Tiles) at Level 15 but this is in the wrong pixel dimension. Is there anyway of using the Export Raster/Image Format tool to cut the data into the levels of 15 and 16 into our preferred 2000x2000 or 4000x4000 dimensions? Basically I want to replicate the Level 15 output but into a 4000x4000 square tile with PGW file. Hope this makes sense! But if you need more information please let me know.

Thanks, Satmap
    edited July 2013
    It sounds like you are being hit by where the zoom levels are switching in Global Mapper, so 2 of your exports that you want at different levels are actually coming from the same level. What I would do for the higher detailed layer is actually export a single large image at a scale that gets the data that you want, then load that in and export it to the pixel dimensions and sample spacing that you need. That way you know exactly which image is being exported, it will just be sub-sampled.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru