Global Mapper v25.0

Split into separate layers by attribute

SabinaJohnson
SabinaJohnson Global Mapper User
edited May 2013 in Technical Support
Hello,

I am trying to get back to where I was, after you split a layer by attribute can you then go back, having all the polygons back on the original layer, or do I have to reload the layer?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2013
    You could do it in memory by right-clicking on the top-level group in the Control Center and selecting to select all features in the Digitizer Tool. Then right-click in the Digitizer Tool and select to edit the features, then change the layer back to a single new layer with the original name. You could then close the split layers.

It would be easier just to reload the original though.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • SabinaJohnson
    SabinaJohnson Global Mapper User
    edited May 2013
    Thank you, it worked..............did not want to reload the layer for I had click on each polygon and added an attribute to it. Am trying to use Global Mapper as my lease database. We are utilizing Petra for our mapping, and the polygons in Petra do not have attributes that you can query on, ie when leases expire................am trying to import the acreage shape file from Petra, give each polygon an unique attribute (Lease #) and then import from Excalibur a *.csv with all the attributes, joining with the Lease #. So I can then query off different attributes same the results to a new layer and export a shapefile to then import back into Petra, ie all Federal acreage. Do you know if anyone else is utilizing Global Mapper this way, am trying to figure out a work flow, for updating the polygons when we get new leases and maintaining a master layer with the Lease # on the polygons in Global Mapper, so I do not have to recreate the wheel for updates.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure of anyone doing exactly the same thing, but I'm sure some folks are doing something similar (including users on this forum). What you might look at to automate some of these tasks is to use Global Mapper scripts (see Global Mapper Scripting Reference). You can use the JOIN_TABLE script command to join your CSV from Excalibur to your loaded polygon data layer automatically so you don't have to set it up every time. You could even automate the entire process of loading your Shapefile (IMPORT command), joining in the CSV (JOIN_TABLE command), then exporting a new Shapefile (EXPORT_VECTOR command). The DEFINE_VAR command allows you to prompt the user for information, like the filename to process, so you can have one script that handles any file.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation