Global Mapper v25.0

Windows Location Provider?

DaveGoodrich
DaveGoodrich Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited May 2013 in Technical Support
Apparently, Windows 8 Tablets with internal GPS don't use Com ports, they use a service called Windows Location Provider. Therefore, Global Mapper cannot "see" the internal GPS. Any chance future versions of Global Mapper will support this service so the internal GPS can be used?

Obviously, the best solution would be for Microsoft to provide something (driver?) to direct the location information from the Windows Location Service to a virtual serial port so legacy apps can use it.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2013
    Adding direct support for Windows Location Provider's is on our todo list. Once there are more device using it we will probably add it, although as you say a driver to fake it from Microsoft would have made a lot of sense. I'm not sure why that didn't include that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • DaveGoodrich
    DaveGoodrich Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps MS is trying to discourage the use of legacy apps in order to encourage users to purchase new apps only available through their app store. A third party should take this up, as I think there will be a large demand as Windows 8 tablets become more widely avialable and come down in price. I have emailed GpsGate requesting that they add support to their client product. They say they are looking into it, but no commitment at this time.