Creating Map Catalog GM 14.2(B051313) + more

HenrikHenrik Global Mapper UserPosts: 20Trusted User
edited June 2013 in Bug Report
Hi,

I have experienced some problem with creating a map catalog with LAZ files. I load between 2000-8000 files.
I get halfway then GM crashes. I have tested this on files from a network drive and a local drive with the same result.
LAZ files have been written with LAZtools. To get around this crash I loaded the files in sets of 200. All the files loaded with out any problem then. I would like to find a logfile to see what causes thecrash but I could not find one.

Usually I use drag and drop in GM to load data, I find it very useful. Most of the time it works fine until I wanted to load approx 350 *.xyz files. The files consist of a 2m grid (E,N,Z).
When I drop them into GM I Generic ASCII Text File Import, I make all setting(Elevation Grid from3D Point data) as I want and tick to use for all files. I specify the grid size in next popup, then choose projection(For all files).
When I the next file is loaded it asks the same questions, so it seems it cant remember my settings/selections.
If you use "Open Your Own Data Files" then it works without any problem.

Are there a limitations for exporting Float files? It seems if the export data is larger then 2GB it will take days or even a week to export the dataset.

The tooltip popup doesn´t turn itself of after I have ticked the box to not display again. So when I close Gm and open it again I sometime get the tooltip popup for some tools when I activate them. I will test this some more.

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2013
    What error message is displayed when the adding of the LAZ files crashes? If you run Task Manager is it possible you are running out of memory? I'm wondering if the LAZ library is leaking memory or something.

When you drag-and-drop a bunch of files onto Global Mapper Windows sends the files separately one-by-one, so as far as Global Mapper knows they are all independent load operations. So if you need to load multiple files, each with their own options, use one of the File menu commands, like the one to load an entire directory.

I'm not seeing the slow-ness writing large Float/Grid files. What type of data are you exporting from? It could be the slowness is on the read vs. the write.

When you say the tooltip popup, do you mean the Info Tips that are enabled under the View menu?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • HenrikHenrik Global Mapper User Posts: 20Trusted User
    edited May 2013
    Version 14.2 b052213 seems to be able to create the map catalog loading all these files :)
    The error message said that Global mapper has stopped working, and then I had 3 options: to close, wait for it to respond or restart the app.

Drag drop worked with previous versions, the files are of the same format and setup. But I will use file menu command.

I have a 2m grid in asc format, mutiple files(2,5*2,5 km). Covering a large area approx 6300 sqkm.
    Not sure why it slows down when I have the larger areas.

Yes the info tip, keeps poping up. Seems to be working better with b052213, not sure why.
    edited May 2013
    The ASC grid files will load into memory to start with, but once so much memory is used they will decompress to a flat binary file on disk then they will stream from there. So if your temp folder where they will extract to is slow the access will be very slow. You could speed this up by first batch converting all of your ASC files to Global Mapper Grid files, then loading those directly instead.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • HenrikHenrik Global Mapper User Posts: 20Trusted User
    edited June 2013
    I will keep that in mind for my next export,
    How fast does the drive have to be to manage to keep up the speed? Today I have 2*4TB 600/64MB drive s in raid locally on my pc were I have the asc. My C drive is a SSD
    I also have 24GB ram / Xeon 1650 OC to 4,2 GHZ
    Perhaps I would need SSD drives where the asc are stored?

Many thanks,
    edited June 2013
    There are so many factors it's hard to say exactly what the bottle neck is, but if you make your system (or just Global Mapper) temp folder be on the SSD drive then anything decompressed to there for streaming will be much faster to read than from a normal hard drive. However if your SSD is almost full you might not want to put your temp folder there.

You can move just the Global Mapper temp folder by adding a 'TempDir' string value in 'regedit' at 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalMapper' with the folder you want to use (I plan to add this option to the user interface in v15).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php