Unhandled exception errors with v14

jamesarjamesar Global Mapper UserPosts: 4
edited May 2013 in Bug Report
Hi,

I am getting the following errors, intermittently when exporting large numbers of tiled GeoTiffs (elevation):

Global Mapper v14.1.0 (b013013) [64-bit]
Unhandled exception processing command message.
SmartDC.cpp - 264
Version: v14.1.0 (64-bit)
Build Time: Jan 30 2013 16:05:39
Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
OK

I haven't been able to determine what is causing this as sometimes it completes the export task and other times it produces this error. Error is always the same. No other errors have been encountered.

thanks,
Allan

Comments

• global_mapperglobal_mapper Administrator Posts: 17,238
    edited May 2013
    Allan,

That's the first I've ever seen that error. Can you try getting the latest build and see if it still has that error? I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • jamesarjamesar Global Mapper User Posts: 4
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the speedy reply Mike,

I tried it and unfortunately after a couple of runs I got the same error below:

Global Mapper v14.2.0 (b051413) [64-bit]
    Unhandled exception processing command message.
    SmartDC.cpp - 264
    Version: v14.2.0 (64-bit)
    Build Time: May 14 2013 20:52:09
    Use Ctrl+V to Paste Error
    OK

To give you more info, I have a workspace containing 17 files all of the same dimensions with different scalar data (metadata for one of those files provided below). I have had no problem at all loading these in and viewing them, all at once or individually. I am selecting one at a time to be visible and exporting the elevation grid data (32bit floats), with 100x100m pixel size, tiled into 10x10km tiles with single pixel overlap. It is sometimes during the export that the error appears.

After I close the error dialog, I have to kill and restart the application as it behaves as if a modal dialog is still open and won't let me click on anything in the interface (i.e. Windows beeps at me as it does when a model dialog is open and trying to click on the parent application - if that makes sense)

Hope that helps..

FILENAME=F:\projects\gvs\projects\DSE_DVDs\Disk1\Rasters\TopElevation\114bse_topvic\w001001.adf
    DESCRIPTION=114bse_topvic GRID (w001001.adf)
    UPPER LEFT X=2112050.000
    UPPER LEFT Y=2838950.000
    LOWER RIGHT X=2950050.000
    LOWER RIGHT Y=2254750.000
    WEST LONGITUDE=140° 22' 36.4760" E
    NORTH LATITUDE=33° 43' 14.5767" S
    EAST LONGITUDE=150° 12' 35.6663" E
    SOUTH LATITUDE=39° 18' 28.3991" S
    PROJ_DESC=Lambert Conformal Conic / GDA94 / meters
    PROJ_DATUM=GDA 94 (AUSTRALIAN GEODETIC 1994)
    PROJ_UNITS=meters
    EPSG_CODE=3111
    COVERED AREA=489560 sq km
    NUM COLUMNS=8381
    NUM ROWS=5843
    PIXEL WIDTH=100 meters
    PIXEL HEIGHT=100 meters
    MIN ELEVATION=-3987.453 meters
    MAX ELEVATION=2036.056 meters
    ELEVATION UNITS=meters
    BIT DEPTH=24
    edited May 2013
    Is it possible for you to provide the data so that I can try and reproduce this issue? Is it possible you are out of memory? The actual error is a core Windows graphics library function call that I've never seen fail before.

Assuming the data is large you can FTP it to ftp.globalmapper.com with a username of 'upload@globalmapper.com' and a password of 'upload'.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
    edited May 2013
    No I have a workstation with 16GB and the Global Mapper process does not exceed 220MB usage during the entire process.

As a stab in the dark that may be way off the mark - I don't know if there is any multi-threading going on here, or if there is some type of resource locking, but each tile exports quickly (~ 50 to 100ms) .. could there be some conflict between successive tile export tasks (file handles, shared resource or something) ?

I will need to find out if the data is publicly accessible first - if so I will happily upload for you to check

cheers
    Allan
    edited May 2013
    Allan,

I have done some debugging exporting from an Arc Binary Grid to a large number of TIFF 32-bit tiles. While I couldn't reproduce the error, I did find where it was hitting the code that is failing for you unnecessarily and have disabled that for elevation exports. I also made the progress dialog for the individual GeoTIFF exports not pop up unless they take at least a few hundred milliseconds, so you should just see the overall progress bar. I have placed a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v14.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v14 version there is a new build at http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper14_64bit.zip .

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Mike!

I have run about 5 exports now without any error. Also much nicer not having the dialog pop up continually.

I will keep running more tomorrow to test further, and let you know if the error occurs again.

Your excellent support is really appreciated.. thanks again

Allan