Global Mapper 15
    Global Mapper User

Default Problem with "Combine Area Features". Screenshot/Sample project included.

Hi,

Goal: Create area buffers around lines using the "Advanced Feature Creation Options->Create Buffers Around Selected Features" with "Combine Areas" checked.

Problem: Some lines which create islands do not create area buffers. When these lines are selected and area buffers are created with "Combine Areas" turned off... the area is created, but when attempting to combine the new area with the original area... the new area disappears.

Hypothesis: There is an issue with combining areas which will subdivide an island hole area that already exists.

Included is a screenshot and a sample project file. If you create area buffers around the 4 lines that do not have areas and attempt to combine the areas... they will disappear. Also, and more importantly, if you select all of the lines and attempt to create buffers with "Combine Areas" selected... it will not succeed.

*Note*, the outside ring is just a scale marker so I knew what range I was dealing with. Not used in the problem.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problem with "Combine Area Features". Screenshot/Sample project included.-screenshot.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Administrator

I am able to reproduce the issue. I will take a look and see if I can get it fixed.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Administrator

I've taken a look and unfortunately this appears to be a bug in the polygon combining library that we use. We will report it to the library vendor and hopefully get a resolution at some point.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com