Global Mapper 16
    Rip
    Global Mapper User

Default How to load Hydrography data

I'm trying to load vector hydrography as a data overlay.

I think I have found the data I need here:
    ftp://nhdftp.usgs.gov/StateExtracts/...eGDB/NHDIL.zip

But Im not sure how to get GM to read the file.

Any help on opening this file, or in finding a similar data source elsewhere?
    More info on the USGS National Hydrography Dataset can be found at the below link.
    http://nhd.usgs.gov/index.html
    thx

Administrator

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the entire zip file to download in a loadable manner for me to look at, but looking at the web site it appears that the NHD data should be available as an ESRI Personal Geodatabase (MDB) file, which you should be able to load into the 32-bit version of Global Mapper v11. It sounds like the data is also available in the proprietary and undocumented ESRI file geodatabase format, which you would not be able to load in Global Mapper, and also as Shapefile (NHDinShape) format, which you can load into Global Mapper.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Administrator

I was just able to get onto the NHD site via FTP. It looks like the full state extracts are only available in the ESRI File Geodatabase format, which of course locks you into using an expensive ESRI product to get at that data as ESRI has not published the format (despite promising to do so). Isn't it great when public government entities publish their data in a proprietary format locked to one vendor?

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but I think you'll have to pull down smaller sections from the NHD server that you can get in Shapefile or MDB format, rather than getting the entire state at a time.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Default Link to the NHDinShape files

Well... the USGS isn't helpful in this case...

Thanks for the info Mike but... the USGS talk about these “NHDinShape” files but don't give any link and I wasn't able to find them anywhere. Are they only available through their NHD Viewer, but that one seems down as I never got the map to load?

Looking at the following EPA document http://www.epa.gov/waters/doc/rad/nhd_in_waters.html it is said that “NHDinShape was an older USGS standard for NHD data suitable for distribution via ESRI shapefiles.” Well, may be that's why I wasn't able to find those files, but strange the USGS still talk about in one of their main pages.

Following the “NHDPlus” link in the previous page leads to the Horizon Systems' site (http://www.horizon-systems.com/nhdplus/index.php) where the NHD v1 is available for download in shapefile format, cut into drainage areas.

At last...

Hope this will help other users spare time searching for these dataset.

Eric