Global Mapper 15
    Global Mapper User

Default Export KML GlobalMapper10 - Holes not working

I am using GlobalMapper 10.02. I have 2 issues. The most critical right now is when I import a .shp file into GlobalMapper with holes in the polygon areas, it looks correct. However, upon exporting this same .shp file then to .kml or .kmz format and opening in Google Earth, some of the holes are not represented correctly while many of them are. At times, the entire polygon doesn't show and at times, the hole doesn't show, and a combination of all of the above. It doesn't seem that GlobalMapper upon exporting the .kml type is able to represent holes/islands of the polygons originally loaded or visible as part of the .shp file but it is very hit and miss. Please help as this is killing me. It seems to have some relation when a shapefile has had the polygons merged/dissolved/joined in other applications, but I am not sure if this is the common thread or not.

The 2nd issue I am seeing and I should probably start a 2nd thread but maybe is related. If I open a .shp file and again the holes/islands look correct and the save the .shp files again from GlobalMapper and pull them up again, it seems to mess up the file. I am able to use the .shp file exported in other GIS programs and it is fine both before GlobalMapper import and after. However, pulling the same file just saved as .shp in Global Mapper, unloading the data, and importing again, it at times will show a different result than what was on the screen when saved.
    Last edited by kirsch; 01-14-2010 at 08:07 PM.

Administrator

I think you might actually be running into some limitations on how many islands an area can have when displayed in Google Earth. To get around this, I would suggest first doing an export that breaks up your large single area with 999 islands in to a bunch of smaller chunks by using the Gridding tab of the export dialog.

I just tried this by gridding into 5x5 chunks (a total of 25 smaller KML files), then I loaded those 25 smaller KML files back into Global Mapper and exported them into a single combined KML file (attached). This then loaded and displayed properly in Google Earth, confirming that the problem is that Google Earth simply can't handle a single area feature with such a huge number of holes in it.

For your issue with the Shapefiles not coming back in properly, can you try getting the latest v10 build to see if it helps? I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com