Global Mapper User

Default Holes and complex polygons

When I load ESRI shapefile hydrography data and assign it a feature type, Global Mapper seems to misinterpret subtractive holes or "islands" in the data, resulting in irregular shapes. Here is an image of this problem as it applies to southern Florida.

I believe that these subtractive area polygons are ordered counter-clockwise according to the ESRI standard. Is there any way to configure Global Mapper to treat these areas as holes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Holes and complex polygons-florida_error_sm.bmp  

Administrator

Global Mapper should automatically treat counter-clockwise oriented areas features in a multi-part polygon feature from a Shapefile as holes in a parent area, provided that the hole is properly defined and fits inside the parent that it is supposed to. I have seen lots of incorrectly defined Shapefiles in regards to parent and child polygons in the past and Global Mapper has a lot of code to try and sort out exactly what was meant when a multi-part polygon was encoded rather than what the exact correct behavior would be according to the Shapefile specification, but some encodings with improper hole definitions still don't work.

If you can send me the Shapefile in question I can take a look.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com