Global Mapper 15
    Vik
    Global Mapper User

Default Trouble importing NAIP imagery data

My site has a registered version of GlobalMapperv12, and I'm new to the product. What I'm trying to do is import NAIP data into GlobalMapper for conversion into a format that an in-house application can make use of. However, I'm having a bit of trouble with the first step of importing the raw NAIP data into Global Mapper.

I go to the "File" pulldown menu, and from there selected "open data file(s)". I have many files in my directory but the only ones visible under the default "support commonly used" mask are my .sid files and .shp files. The .shp files can be opened without error, but when I try to open the .sid ones I get the following error:

"Unknown error while rendering overlays, you should probably save and quit.
    mrsid format error [2005]"

Then it prints out the path to the filename I'm trying to open, a series of seemingly random numbers, and then a sourcecode filename and line number: MrSIDOVerlay.cpp - 550. It gives my version number as v12.02 and a Build time of May 12 2011 00:52:07

That's pretty much it for the error message. I have NAIP data for multiple counties in Nevada (Douglas, Lander, and Lyon) downloaded, and I'm getting the same error for all of them. If it helps, the data is from the ftp link on this website: http://keck.library.unr.edu/Data/NAIP

The aforementioned ftp site is ftp://dataworks.library.unr.edu/naip/2010/County and I'm pulling the data down through there over filezilla. I had tried to fetch the NAIP data from seamless, but the stingy max download queue on the site kept me from choosing that as my primary source for the data.

Any help would be appreciated. I've been in industry for some years, but GIS, terrain imagery, etc. is a completely new domain for me, so it is quite probable I am making some very basic errors.

Thanks,
    Vik

Administrator

Vik,

I wonder if maybe you are downloading the files in ASCII mode rather than binary or something? I just pulled down the huge Douglas county SID image and it loaded fine for me both in v12.02 and v13.1, so the files seem ok.

You might also note that you can get NAIP imagery using the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command, both through the specific NAIP source, which can be slow as it is from a USGS server, or also from the pre-tiled World Imagery source which might not be the latest NAIP, but is typically much faster.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com

Vik
    Global Mapper User

Mike, I definitely appreciate the quick response. The wrong ftp transfer mode is the first thing I thought, too, and I verified that my transfer type in filezilla was set to "Binary" (not ascii, or even the auto-select mode).

However, since you downloaded and imported the file successfully, I figured some troubleshooting was in order. I used the windows command line ftp tool to queue up the Douglas .sid. I'll try accessing that in the morning after it's pulled down to see if I have better luck with that. If so, then filezilla was somehow to blame. Mind if I ask what ftp client you used to pull down the Douglas .sid?

Getting the data directly online from Global Mapper isn't an option for me. My Global Mapper machine is not connected to the wider internet.

Thanks,
    Vik

Administrator

Vik,

I used CuteFTP to download the data.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com

Vik
    Global Mapper User

Mike, just wanted to let you know I resolved the issue. A colleague of mine downloaded one county's worth of info onto his machine off of the same ftp server, and we saw the checksums of the .sid files (but only the .sid files) were different. With that big clue being right in front of me, I was certain the problem was with my download, so I eventually was able to figure out what went wrong. Thanks for your help! Wish it had occurred to me to ask you what the checksum of your .sid was--would've saved me quite a bit of time.

Thanks,
    Vik