Global Mapper User

Default Exporting feature data points in other formats beside UTM to the clipboard.

First post, and very new to Global; Mapper, but some limited prior GIS and cartographic experiences and a fair amount of coordination transformation experience (I do high accuracy differential GPS things most of the time). I am trying to evaluate this as a GIS tool a bunch of non-GiS type traffic engineers can use for some rather rudimentary data capture of lane level street data details.

My need (and I know Global Mapper is a gross overkill for this initial need) is the add a few dozen poly lines to represent the edges of lanes in an intersection drawn in the tool with 1cm precision (not accuracy) and export these, ideally in a WGS84 coordinate system rather then a UTM projection. I will probably do a ground survey of these points in time, but expect to just start with a hand digitalization using the xxx over a raster image. My questions all concern how to export the vectors of this (which then get packed into a message format in a format called ASN and shipped to a moving vehicle, but we need not care about that part here). If I can get this type of simple data out of the tool in any useful way (KML perhaps preferred) we are good to move ahead.

In the Feature Information dialog, in the Feature Vertex List (and on the data placed into the clipboard) all I see if UTM data points, I see that the Select Location Dialog (to edit a single point) allow a "Geographic Coordinate" input but in the format of: deg-min-sec.nnn. Can this be made to be a straight decimal format each time (as in deg.nnnnnnn) ? [Aside everything we do in this work is expressed in units of 1/10th micro degree] Help please.

Carrying this thought a bit further, can the format of the data placed on the chipboard be expressed this way? Yes I know I can build a quick converter routine in excel etc, but thought I would asked when I did not see a help screen on this.

Sorry to post an obvious question if that is the case, and am very much looking forward to getting to play with this tool a lot more.

Regards,
    DC Kelley

Administrator

DC,

You can export your data to numerous formats, including KML, using the File->Export Vector Data menu command. The KML export will always export lat/lon WGS84 coordinates, but you can export that to other formats, like perhaps a Simple ASCII Text file, by simply changing your projection to Geographic (lat/lon)/WGS84 on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog prior to export.

You can set the default display format for lat/lon coordinates on the Position Display Format setting on the General tab of the Options dialog. Global Mapper will recognize and accept for input several different lat/lon formats, including decimal degrees, DMS, etc.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

I see the setting now (Options dialog called Configure on the release I am using) and that is very helpful for the hand editing I will have to do for each point to start. You did not mention the clipboard format, is that always in UTM form? I will try the KML path next.

Administrator

Copying the coordinates for a feature from the clipboard would always have the coordinates in the native projection of the layer that the feature is in. You could instead export to a simple text file then you would get whatever your current projection system coordinates are.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com