Global Mapper 15
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Global Mapper User

Default Google Maps Export, Fill to Tile Bounds with raster imagery fills with yellow

Using GM V12.01, when exporting using ExportWebFormat.GoogleMapsTiles I'm unable to completely fill the edge tiles with raster imagery.

"Make Image Tiles Transparent" does make the edges transparent, but this isn't what I want.

"ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" seems like it would be the right choice, but instead of raster imagery, I get a yellow color as the fill rather than the background imagery.

Unchecking both of the above seems to give the same result as "Fill to Tile Bounds".

Administrator

Can you first try getting the v12.02 release to see if that fixes the issue? You can download and install v12.02 from the links below:

32-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_setup.exe
    64-bit: http://www.globalmapper.com/global_m...etup_64bit.exe

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

V12.02 doesn't seem to fix the issue; I'm getting the exact same results as with V12.01.

Am I interpreting the description "ADVANCED: Fill to Tile Bounds" correctly? Should raster areas outside the ExportBounds but still part of the tile set be filled with image data if this is checked?

Administrator

Yes you are interpreting it correctly. The full tiles should be filled with loaded data rather than just filling the tiles out to the specified export bounds when that option is checked. Are you cropping to an area or anything like that? Doing that would cause what you are seeing.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Yes I am cropping to an area. I'm creating areas based on BSB charts, then merging the areas, and then using the combined area as the ExportBounds.

Any workarounds?

Administrator

You would need to not crop to an area since that cropping will mark anything outside the areas as invalid, so it would be filled in with the background color if filling to the tile bounds. What you could do is start the export once cropping to the areas, then cancel and restart and then on the Export Bounds tab just press the button to use the last export bounds. That should leave you with a normal non-cropped export to the bounding box of the areas that you were cropping to the time before.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't solve the problem of creating a sparse tileset. As you predicted, using the "Reset to Last Exported Bounds" results in a tileset which is the bounding box of the contained areas, rather than just the individual areas. So I seem to be stuck creating unnecessary and redundant tiles.

Can I suggest this feature be considered for future inclusion?

Does the developer API give the ability to create sparse tilesets?

Thanks,
    Jay

Administrator

Jay,

There is an option to 'Skip Empty Tiles' when exporting to web formats like Google Maps tiles. This should cause any tiles that don't intersect any of the loaded layer bounds to not be exported. Have you tried checking that option?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

In my case there are no empty tiles, so I don't think the "Skip Empty Tiles" option will work.

I have different BSB charts at multiple scales for the same geographic area. Only a small fraction of the large scale charts are covered by small scale charts. Charts with identical scales occupy a single overlay. Different overlays are enabled when exporting each zoom factor. When exporting the small scale charts both the large scale and the small scale charts are visible within a single tile (the large scale chart is visible at the outer boundary of the small scale chart).

When exporting a rectangular region everything works correctly. But I'm trying to limit the size of the dataset by only exporting the cropped regions of the small scale charts, and this fails since there doesn't seem to be a way to include the large scale charts while simultaneously cropping to an area.

Administrator

It sounds like you just want to crop some of your charts to an area and not all of them correct? If so then you don't want to do the cropping at export, but instead, go to the Cropping tab of the Options dialog for the layer(s) that you want to crop and crop them to a polygon there, then just do the rectangular export. Then you should get your background charts filling in where the other charts are cropped.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast