Global Mapper 15

Thread: PRJ definition

Global Mapper User

Default PRJ definition

I have run a batch convert from LAS to shapefile. The data is projected, and defined in Global Mapper as NAD83 SPCS South Carolina, International Feet. The PRJ file that is automatically generated by Global Mapper during this batch convert is Lambert Conformal Conic, and not SPCS. While this may technically be the same thing, it would be nice to be able to generate PRJ files that are defined as SPCS. This has become a matter of confusion for one of our clients. So far our work-around has been to batch convert the files in GM without a PRJ file, export a SPCS PRJ file using arcmap, and then use that template PRJ file to generate SPCS PRJ files that are named in accordance with each of the shapefiles exported from Global Mapper. Is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance!
    -Andy

Administrator

Andy,

The new WKT PRJ format always defines the base projection, such as Lambert Conformal Conic, for alias projections like SPCS, so I would expect both the Global Mapper-generated PRJ file and the one from ArcMap to actually specify the Lambert Conformal Conic projection. What is likely different is the text label for the projection at the beginning of the PRJ file, which ArcMap probably specifies as the zone.

I have taken a look and found how I could make what Global Mapper writes out for the projection name include the State Plane zone like ArcMap does. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com