Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Mapper User

Default Tile Map Service

If Global Mapper doesn't currently allow this, I suggest you add the ability for Global Mapper to download from any Tile Map Service (see specification Here).

I suspect it would be fairly easy to implement, and would allow Global Mapper users to view, as well as create their own web-compatible tiles.

It would also be nice if it allowed the user to use a local directory of tiles. For example, if a user created a map tile package, just as they currently create Google Maps tiles, they could then use the tiles locally. This wouldn't step too hard on Google or Bing Maps' toes because it is a separate specification, and is not directly compatible with their servers.

It could be made more powerful by adding the capability to upload tiles to a user-specified TMS server, making Global Mapper a better platform for maintaining web-compatible tile maps.

Administrator

Thank you for the suggestion. This is actually something we are hoping to add support for in the v12 release this summer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Is this suggestion still in the works? Being able to use a local web server would be cool, but just adding other sites that use the TMS spec would be a nice treat (ie the other openstreetmap layers, toposm.com, mytopo.com).

Administrator

Yeah, it didn't quite make the v12 release, but I'm hoping to get it added in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Any update on this?

Administrator

That is available now in the latest v12 builds. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

The option is available on the File->Download Online Imagery/Data menu command where you can add a new source that is an OSM/TMS source.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Wow, thanks. Little pre-feedback
    I'm getting an error when I click add OSM tiles. TMS doesnt give me an error.
    This is with the 32 and 64 bit.

Unhandled exception processing command message.
    DlgTerraServerDownload.h - 157
    Version: v12.00
    Build Time: Dec 11 2010 17:00:08

Global Mapper User

and I cant get it to happen again.....

Administrator

I was able to reproduce, it could happen if you had a group selected rather than an individual source when you pressed the button to add a new source. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

I like it so far. Is there a way to get the layers to refresh when you zoom in? When I move to a different area it seem to not load any new data - which is unlike the other sources thats automatically provided (ex NAIP).

Another example - say I export some data I have with a source in the background using a certain dpi or scale - would it be the scale/resolution that I originally loaded rather than what I set to export?

It seems to work pretty well - other than the pixelish look of some of these sources when I zoom in. Now I guess it's up to use to try to figure out what tiling scheme various sources use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast