Global Mapper 15
    Global Mapper User

Default Multiple "User Created Features"

My first time posting to and viewing this site. I've owned every version of Global Mapper since the beginning. I brag about GM abilities to GIS folks and others every chance I get. Keep up the good work.

I'm hoping to encourage you to allow for multiple "User Created Features" (UCF) overlays. I find myself needing to hide or unhide features within the UCF overlay independantly. It would be great if I could have several UCF overlays available and be able to choose which UCF I want to be active. Newly created features would be added only to the active UCF.

Right clicking on a UCF overlay would produce these new options:
    Copy overlay
    Make this overlay active for newly created features
    Create new UCF overlay

Creating a new overlay or copying an existing overlay could open a dialog asking the user the name of a workspace file to save.

Being able to move features from one UCF overlay to another is important to me. Right clicking on selected features and having a menu option to move the selected features to another overlay without having to edit the features would be great.

That's my 2 cents. Thank you for your time.

Jeff

Administrator

Jeff,

Are you aware that in Global Mapper v9 and later you can assign features to layers other than the 'User Created Features' layer when you create them, thus effectively allowing you to have multiple UCF layers? Also when you edit existing features you can move them to a different layer if you want to.

Within a single layer you could also use the type assignments to assign different features as different types and then turn those on and off using the filter settings on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Cool

Thank you for the reply.

I did just accomplish saving a new feature to a different layer and it did remember that I wanted to save to that layer for the next new feature. That's good.

When I tried to edit mulitple types of features and change the layer for them all at the same time, it wouldn't allow me. "Area, Line, and Point features cannot be edited at the same time". Still, not bad.

I had used the Vector Display tab in the past to hide features. Not as efficient.

It would still be nice to be able to copy or create a new layer without having to "Create workspace file from selected layer" and then open that file. Small time saver. I can work around that minor tweak.

Jeff

Administrator

Jeff,

It is true that you can't edit area, line, and point features all at once, since if you have different types selected you'll get separate dialogs for each type, so up to 3 dialogs may be shown for you to move all of the features to a new layer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Default Create empty overlay

Quote Originally Posted by global_mapper View Post
    Jeff,

Are you aware that in Global Mapper v9 and later you can assign features to layers other than the 'User Created Features' layer when you create them, thus effectively allowing you to have multiple UCF layers? Also when you edit existing features you can move them to a different layer if you want to.

Within a single layer you could also use the type assignments to assign different features as different types and then turn those on and off using the filter settings on the Vector Display tab of the Configuration dialog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    Is it possible to move user created features to a new otherwise empty layer?

Administrator

Yes, when you edit the features you can change the layer to be a new one, then you will be prompted to enter a description for the layer and the layer will be created and features moved there.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com