Global Mapper 16
    Global Mapper User

Default Misc Suggestions

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased Global Mapper 11 and LOVE IT! I've been using Manifold for the last 5 years to view bathymetry data and find new ship wrecks / reefs to scuba dive off the coast of Los Angeles. Both programs have their strenghts but I absolutely love the speed of Global Mapper with handling large data sets and the really slick 3D view!

Here are a few things that I would like to see.

1. Splash screen should have "Load Workspace" as one of the options. I'm betting that most people start with an existing workspace at least as often as they open new data. CTRL+W is a nice hotkey but it just strikes me as odd that Load Workspace isn't in there.

2. I would love to see some buttons added to the overlay control center for "select all" and "select none". I frequently import a big zip file that contains about a dozen shape files with GPS coordinates of various areas. I hate manually deselecting them every time and would like an easy way to deselect everythign and only add back the layers I want to see.

3. I really need a tabular "spreadsheet" way of editing and viewing my waypoints. I see that I can use the info tool to view and edit the attributes of a waypoint but this only works one waypoint at a time. It would be nice to be able to see all the points in a layer at one time. I guess I could always export to csv, edit, and import again but it would be convenient to stay in Global Mapper.

4. I'm getting an "Unspecified Error" when trying to export a shape file to Lowrance USR using Export Vector Data > Export Lowrance USR. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thank you for making such an excellent product.

Here are more things I absolutely love about Global Mapper.

1. You support NetCDF so I can open output files directly from MB System
    2. You can directly read BAG files so I can open NOAA bathy data with no conversion!
    3. You keep file sizes tiny and save/open times fast.
    4. You can open huge data sets and do screen redraws in only a few seconds! This is much different than my experience with other GIS packages. I'm playing with 6GB of sidescan & multibeam data for Catalina Island and my redraws are < 10 seconds!

Cheers,
    Ross Overstreet
    Torrance, CA

Administrator

Ross,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

I have gone ahead and made workspace files be listed in the normal File->Open dialog box so you can easily load those as well as normal data files just by using the File->Open Data File menu command. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

If you press Ctrl+A when the Control Panel list has focus it will select all items in the layer list, allowing you to easily hide them all.

The best way to get a tabular view of data attributes (at least for now) is to use the Search->Search by Attributes menu command.

I tried out the Lowrance USR export and found a bug in it causing the crash. The new build above has this fixed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User

Default Thank you!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the help! The lowrance .usr export works great now. I didn't realize that I could select multiple items in the control panel and do an operation to all selected items at the same time. This solves my problem of quickly turning layers off, unloading, etc.

I noticed that my Configuration >> Vertical Options >> Elevation Display setting doesn't persist between sessions or files. I guess you guys probably set it back to "Native Overlay Units" on purpose. Is there a hidden option of making it default to feet instead?

Cheers,
    Ross Overstreet
    Torrance, CA

Administrator

Ross,

It looks like the 'Elevation Display' setting should have been remembered, it was just a bug where it wasn't. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit version, there is a new build available at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com