Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Dear Global Mapper - Friends

Global Mapper User
    Blog Entries

Default Dear Global Mapper - Friends

Hi to ALL Global Mapper Users,

I've noticed, that our Forum is based on Question-Answer to/from Mike and Paul...
    Could we make something from ourselves to make it more "alive" and active from our side ?
    For example - could we share among our GM Community our own experience, our work examples, our files or discovered by ourselves interesting links to vector and raster datas.. ? Most of us are able to create a simple Tutorials dedicated to the particular subiect of working with GM.
    We can share our interesting Screen Shots, knowledge about good WMS servers, and how to configure them, we could share our Useres' Shaders, datums, we could teach each other so many things....
    Forgive me, but I feel like this, we should be much more active on the Forum and support newcommers and novices how to work with Global Mapper more efficiently..
    I'm a member of ships' modellist forum too.
    There - everyone is ready to share his knowledge, his experience and everyone assists to every novice ...
    I believe, we could and we should do the same on Global Mapper Forum too.
    More, many Forum users become real friends after meeting on Forum and exchanging their experience...
    I wish that for Global Mapper Forum Users - too...

Let us try to be more creative and more active on this Forum too.

Forgive me Friends, this is what I feel reading posts on our GM Forum

If one would ask me - What did you do from yourside ...
    I could say, not too much but only that...

our favorite mapping software - online gallery:
    http://www.globalmapper.com/product/screenshots.htm
    or here:
    http://picasaweb.google.pl/e.tarando...eat=directlink

Sincere regards to everyone
    Last edited by EDGAR; 09-17-2009 at 09:01 AM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by EDGAR View Post
    I've noticed, that our Forum is based on Question-Answer to/from Mike and Paul...
    Can we help it that Mike's always just minutes away with an answer???

Administrator

I certainly welcome as much creative content and assistance from users as possible! As Frank said I make this difficult by answering so fast most of the time. There does seem to be more user response on inquiries from Europe as it is the middle of the night in Colorado when most of those questions are posted, so users have more time to respond before I'm available.

I think user-provided tutorials, especially video tutorials like the forum already has (provided by Paul) would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User
    Blog Entries

Frank2

Dear Frank,
    Yes, that is the reason that all of us we are in "passive mode" all the time...,
    Anyway, did You noticed Paul's announce about Useres' Screen Shots, and Users' Shaders ?? NOBODY , sorry, almost nobody replayed... But WHY ?
    I'm sure, all of us we HAVE our own interesting experience with Global Mapper, all of us we are trying to adjust Shaders for our particular needs... As You noticed - there are NO examples of Shaders with RGB values - available on Internet... The only one - I gave to Paul and Mike - representing Polish SRTM Shader made by netgis...
    After long negotiations - the author accepted to publish it on Global Mapper forum and made it available for everyone... But, I'm sure - there should be much more Custom Shaders that could be published, but nobody is willing to do so...
    As well, we all need some SHP files representing bordere, rivers, lakes, roads etc. for a particular area... If WE ALL put our little "stone" into one place - we could create reasonable "mountain" of sources and knowledge on this Global Mapper Forum.
    And that is what I'm trying to suggest to all of us - users of Global Mapper soft.

Yes, I'm a novice, I'm NOT a GIS software user, like ESRI, but with the use of GM I did and verified very complex map of nearby district, and I believe - this soft has his great power and future, and apart from Mike's and Paul's answers, we should and we could change this Forum into Global Mapper Community friendship...

Forgive me for writting errors, it does not matter here, but I believe my idea is clear.

Best regards to You
    Last edited by EDGAR; 09-17-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Super Moderator

Hi EDGAR.

I agree with you, and understand. I've used GM for MANY years, but in the past I used it mostly to verify data in other programs, or to convert data. One of these days I may have more time to contribute to the community.

For free worldwide GIS data, I generally try this first:
    http://data.geocomm.com/

And this site is of general interest to this community:
    http://slashgeo.org/

Global Mapper User
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by global_mapper View Post
    I certainly welcome as much creative content and assistance from users as possible! As Frank said I make this difficult by answering so fast most of the time. There does seem to be more user response on inquiries from Europe as it is the middle of the night in Colorado when most of those questions are posted, so users have more time to respond before I'm available.

I think user-provided tutorials, especially video tutorials like the forum already has (provided by Paul) would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    Mike, You are right, video tutorial are nice, but
    I've created my own paper tutorial file set - downloaded from the Internet
    as PDF files... There are not too much of them, but some are from Asia, some from US, some from Russia and Poland ...

PDF file - one can print, read and try to practice step by step...
    Therefore I would appreciate if we, GM Forum members
    start to share our PDF tutorials dedicated to particular theme...
    for example : How to adjust parameters to receive good quality 3D TOPO map over SRTM...

YouTube is OK, but PDF on hand is also good.. )

Mike, could You tell me, is it possible to make GM capable to import Projection in DATUM.dat file ...?
    There are many [.dat] projection files available refering to former maps
    like Germans' , Polish WIG that one could rectify with Global Mapper.
    For example datum Borowa Góra - the one refering to Polish Military Geographic Institute - covering the area before II WW, and Ozi Explorer DO accepts those files to reproject maps. But Ozi does it only mathematically, and does not allow to SAVE Geo TIFF after reprojection.
    Also Polish projection Pulkovo 1942, and many others...

This should be done in same way as for Shader [crl] files - by straight importing...
    What do You think about it ?

Best regards
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by EDGAR; 09-17-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Administrator

Edgar,

Paper (PDF) tutorials would be great as well. Both PDF and video tutorials are most welcome and might very well end up on globalmapper.com if posted.

I took a look at your datums.dat file and it looked like some sort of datum definition file and not a full projection definition. There wouldn't be much to be done with that in Global Mapper. Most common datums are built-in (and I can add them easily if more are needed). The custom_datums.txt format is pretty simple for users wishing to share entries in that for strange datums.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Global Mapper User
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank2 View Post
    Hi EDGAR.

I agree with you, and understand. I've used GM for MANY years, but in the past I used it mostly to verify data in other programs, or to convert data. One of these days I may have more time to contribute to the community.

For free worldwide GIS data, I generally try this first:
    http://data.geocomm.com/

And this site is of general interest to this community:
    http://slashgeo.org/
    Frank,

And for that You are Great !!!
    Thank You,

If most of us will follow You, then our Forum would become Global Mapper Forum of Friends

Now, awaiting for NEXT one )

And best regards to Everyone on the site
    Last edited by EDGAR; 09-17-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Global Mapper User

I like the ideas in this thread.

My ways of contributing would be, first, to post example scripts now and then—because there are not very many examples around, and although they aren't difficult there is a little bit to learn at first—and secondly, to post a workflow, if there was something tricky or non-obvious about it.

Global Mapper User
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by global_mapper View Post
    Edgar,

Paper (PDF) tutorials would be great as well. Both PDF and video tutorials are most welcome and might very well end up on globalmapper.com if posted.

I took a look at your datums.dat file and it looked like some sort of datum definition file and not a full projection definition. There wouldn't be much to be done with that in Global Mapper. Most common datums are built-in (and I can add them easily if more are needed). The custom_datums.txt format is pretty simple for users wishing to share entries in that for strange datums.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
    Dear Mike,

Let me think a while...
    I will send You by tomorrow better expalnation for Borowa Gora DATUM
    PLS have a look here: www.mapywig.org/
    One can find here thousands of perfect scans of those maps for free
    I don't know any better source for those maps.
    Till 1937 - they where , let say ones of most beautifull and sopfisticated maps on the world. Most of them where in 1:100 000 scale and contains informations better that any other maps of same scale in Europe at the time.
    During II WW - Germans arrested polish WIG cartographers and forced them to "germanise" those maps
    since they were most accurete and best maps for eastern theritories...

Many people here in Europe, and not only here would like to reference those maps and save them as GeoTIFs, and not with OZI but with Global Mapper - for navigating over them and for printing with propper references.
    If You would be able to implement datum for Borowa Góra into Global Mapper it would be very useful for many users concerned with those historical maps. After II WW our borders have changed, but many people are looking for their roots, therefore those maps are very valuable for GENEALOGY purposes.

By tomorrow will send You better expalanation about Botowa Góra DATUM

Best Regards
    Last edited by EDGAR; 09-16-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast