Global Mapper 15
    Doe
    Global Mapper User

Default Corrupted points in v13.1

Mike,

I am working with GM v13.1. All of my point data, except strike and dip data, in my mega-project are missing details. Some of the points are sample points that included sample names. I think the corruption is mostly affecting points that are classified as "unknown point features". The Feature Type and Layer classification is retained. The Names are gone. Sometimes bits and pieces of the sample data are present - like Elevation, sym, etc... but the Name is always gone. I haven't worked with the sample points or any of the other points in a while - probably since I converted from v12.02 to v13.1.

I opened an old version of the filed in both v12.02 and v13.1 and both retain the name data correctly. However, v13.1 will not plot the labels. I also tried to export the file using the Export Vector mode. I noticed that v13.1 does not export the "LABEL" column while v12.02 does! Everything else is identical.

Any ideas if there is a way to recover the point names? Was there an issue with v13.0? I haven't tried to save the older project files in v13.1. I'll have to spend a while to correct the issues. I do back-up my files but am on the road and don't have access to the back-up files. Unfortunately, I think I may have all of my back-up in the v13.x. I'll wait for your feedback before I proceed.

Mike

Administrator

Mike,

What you are seeing is a result of some new labeling options in v13.1 to allow dynamic labels that had a bad choice of defaults. If you go to the Options dialog for the layer there is an option to check that says to use the original/edited label rather than the attribute-based label. If you check that your labels will come back.

We have already patched the official installer to 13.1.1 so that will be checked by default to avoid confusion. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13.zip with the latest changes for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v13.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v13 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper13_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com

Doe
    Global Mapper User

Thanks Mike,

Unfortunately it didn't work. There are no labels left for the points. Just the point styles and occasional attributes. Fortunately, I have a two month old version that has nearly all of my sample point (No replacement for the Grand Canyon data). Each data point appears to have lost it's name (with the exception of four points).

I'll load the new build. Was there anything else that I should look out for regarding other data types?

Mike

Administrator

Mike,

Try the new build first, the labels shouldn't have gone anywhere unless you actually exported to new data files. It should all be in the workspace, you just have to check the new option for labeling on the Options dialog for the layer, then they should show up. I would definitely get the new build though as there were some other bugs.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.globalmapper.com

Doe
    Global Mapper User

Mike,

Thanks. I have the new build up and running. The point data was apparently damaged. I've recovered most of the points from the older project file (it had a different name so I never opened it in v13.x). The remaining points should be easy to fix.

Mike