Global Mapper v25.0

Seamless Google Map Overlay

GTDeveloper
GTDeveloper Global Mapper User
edited November 2008 in How I use Global Mapper
Hello,

I am using Global Mapper to create Google Map overlays where Google Maps doesn't have coverage. I am attempting to seamlessly overlay my information within Google Maps.

Are there presets to add styles to vectors, areas and lines to match those used on Google Maps? Is there a thread dedicated to this?

Thanks!

Jon

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2008
    Jon,

There are not any presets to setup the styles for the built-in vector types to match what Google Maps uses. You would just have to customize the display of the types on the Style tabs of the Configuration dialog to match Google Maps prior to exporting.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GTDeveloper
    edited October 2008
    Mike,

I've played with the styles for vector types and I've come close. Currently I'd like to make a road that is white with a black border. I've only found how to make the vector black or white. I've even tried to copy the shape file and make one set of roads 5 pixels wide and black, then another on top that is 3 pixels wide and white. But the two shape files blend colors not layers. So black + while = black, not white over black.

How can I do that?

Jon
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    Jon,

The vector line styles in Global Mapper are somewhat limited currently. There is an existing striped style, but it currently put black as a single stripe throught the middle of the line rather than putting the black on the outside. What I may do is go ahead and add another striped line style, with this one having the black on the outside and whatever color that you select as the stripe down the middle. I'll point you at a new build when this is added.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GTDeveloper
    edited October 2008
    Thanks Mike!!

If I can request something specifically, can there be options for thickness of line as a whole and the border, as well as the ability to pick the color of the border and 'body' of the line? Same for railroad lines as well? (I'm attempting to make this as seamless with Google as possible.)

Thanks!

Jon
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    Jon,

I have completed adding a new drawing style (Solid with Black Edges) that adds a black border to a line of user-selected color. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

The other requested changes require user interface changes and thus will have to be added to a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GTDeveloper
    edited October 2008
    Thank you Mike!

Can you tweak the style a bit? I've attached part of a screen shot to show you how it looks now. Can you take the rounding off the ends of the lines?

Jon

example.png
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    I'll see if I can do something. I think what is really needed is 2 drawing passes for lines with this style, the first drawing the thick black background and the second drawing the white (or whatever color) on top. This would be pretty much identical to the "fat road line" support already in Global Mapper, which uses a 2-pass process.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • GTDeveloper
    edited October 2008
    Mike,

Thanks for the quick response. Where is the "fat road line" option? I looked for a line type style and a line type within the styles, but I couldn't find it. I click the "display roads as fat lines when zoomed in", but I it didn't seem to do anything.

Also is there a way to apply styles at certain zoom levels? Or would I have to create different styles and render only the zoom levels I want with that style?

Jon
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    Jon,

The fat style is an automatic setting for the built-in road line types, it is not a separate style per-se. If you use one of the built-in road line types you should automatically get the fat line behavior when you zoom in beyond a certain scale. Perhaps this will give you the results that you want.

There is not really a way to have user-defined zoom level based styles (other than the built-in fat road line support).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    I have updated the rendering of the new black edge style to draw all features matching that style at once, which gets rid of the ugliness. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kartoone76
    kartoone76 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2008
    Is there any way to customize the threshold at which zooming threshold the "display roads as fat lines" feature kicks in (perhaps a registry key)?

Related to that, is there documentation explaining the registry key settings or at least the most popular ones? I am working a lot with the Global Mapper scripting engine which relies on registry settings for customization of styles, etc... If I want to change something, I have to manually start Global Mapper, change the style, exit Global Mapper and the registry will be updated. I saw that the Global Mapper SDK has a function for setting the registry key, but I didn't see a corresponding description of what registry keys correspond to which settings inside Global Mapper.

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    There is not currently any way to customize the "fat lines threshold" for built-in road line types.

There is not really any documentation of the registry keys that are used and what format they use as that is typically considered for internal use only and not something that users should typically be modifying.

The Global Mapper SDK function for setting the registry key is just for moving the location of the entire settings tree for your SDK-based application, not for setting individual values. You might want to consider using the SDK for your application rather than scripting as it has functions exposed for changing things like drawing styles so you don't have to much with the registry yourself.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com