Global Mapper v25.0

Tree Marking

What another way of marking trees? I know you can use the points with a symbol icon, but For groves of trees that just need the area marked how is the best way to do this? I have seen autocad use a custom shape to mark foliage but Not sure how do it in GM! Any help would be great!

Answers

• sphillips
    Answer ✓
    You could create a custom seamless pattern with the likes of photoshop/gimp etc and then setup a custom Area Style. Make sure the pattern has a transparent background and save to PNG to support 'alpha channel' (transparency). I have created a very quick CAD-style tree pattern in 3 different sizes for you to try - they are in the zipped folder.

1. Tools > Configure > Area Styles
    2. New type...
    3. Name it
    4. OK
    5. Select the named Area Type
    6. Add Custom Fill Pattern
    7. Browse for pattern
    8. OK

Now apply the pattern to your 'trees' layer:

1. Go to the Option for the layer
    2. Area styles
    3. Use Same Style for All Features
    4. Select Style
    5. Choose the fill pattern and your border style etc

• Sphillips, that is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you.... Although the ZIP file is emtpy when I downloaded it. Any chance we could try that again? BUT otherwise exactly what I am looking for.
  • KF7ELU said:
    Sphillips, that is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you.... Although the ZIP file is empty when I downloaded it. Any chance we could try that again? BUT otherwise exactly what I am looking for.
    My apologies for the empty ZIP file - not quite sure what happened there. Hopefully this ZIP file has the patterns!

Steve

• Excellent! Thank you!
  • You're welcome. Glad I could help.