Global Mapper v25.0

Add skip unrecognized files in option "Open All Files in a Directory Tree"

jdyk
jdyk Global Mapper User
Hi,
Would it be possible to add a skip unrecognized option when a directory is opened. For example now Global Mapper asks for the file type of each individual subfile of an Esri qdb database when the directory is opened. 
Thank You,
Joost

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

jdyk said:
    Would it be possible to add a skip unrecognized option when a directory is opened. For example now Global Mapper asks for the file type of each individual subfile of an Esri qdb database when the directory is opened. 
    I have added item #21753 to our task list so we can evaluate adding the ability to skip unrecognized files to a future version of Global Mapper.  We will post a message on this thread when the status of the feature request changes.

By "qdb," do you mean an Esri File Geodatabase (gdb)?  To load an Esri File Geodatabase, use Open Data File(s)..., browse to the .gdb directory, and choose the file called "gdb" (if you choose "ESRI File Geodatabase (GDB) File" from the format list, the files will be filtered so that the "gdb" file will be the only one you see.)

Cheers,
    Bob
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    You can also provide a filename filter when loading files in a directory tree, so if you need to load multiple File Geodatabases at once just specify the filename mask as 'gdb' and all of the geodatabases will load.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • jdyk
    jdyk Global Mapper User
    Hi Bob and Mike,
    Thank you for your replies. 
    My problem is that I regularly receive hard drives with 1Tb of GIS and GIS related data and I would Global Mapper to show me as much as possible of the files it understands.  With the great support of 250 file types in Global Mapper it is a bit challenging to choose the right filename mask.

Regards,
    Joost
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    Joost,

What I would suggest for this particular case is to run a script instead as it will provide more options. Just create a .gms (or .gmw) file with the following to load an entire folder of all masks without the unknown prompt:

DEFINE_VAR NAME="PATH" PROMPT="DIR"
    IMPORT_DIR_TREE DIRECTORY="%PATH%" FILENAME_MASKS="*" \
        RECURSE_DIR="YES" PROMPT_IF_TYPE_UNKNOWN="NO"

This should prompt the user for the path to load, then load all files in that directory tree. Any unknown type files will skip the prompt. See http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/knowledgebase/global-mapper-18-2/#Scripting_Reference/ScriptReference.html for complete scripting documentation. The IMPORT command options will apply for IMPORT_DIR_TREE.

You can run the script using File->Run Script, or name it with the .gmw extension and just load it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • jdyk
    jdyk Global Mapper User
    Hi Mike,

Thank you. That will work.